Image Map

Monday, October 20, 2014

NaNoWriMo Checklist: How to Get Ready to Write a Novel in a Month.

If you don't know what NaNoWriMo is, click here.

If you're participating in NaNoWriMo, you've got 11 days and some odd hours before the madness begins. Until then, here are some things that will help you get ready to write your little heart out. 


Find a coffee or a tea that you like. Buy a lot of it.

Get a brand new notebook. Sometimes, writing on a blank page instead of staring at a computer screen is all it takes to get rid of writer's block. Plus, you want to have somewhere to jot all your ideas down when you're not actually sitting at your computer and writing.

Print out a calendar/to-do list. Write your word count goals on every day. This is terrifying, but do it anyway. Make Fridays your check-in day. That way you can up your word count over the weekend if you've fallen behind that week.

Look into what you want to write with. Do you like writing with a pen and notebook? Word? Ommwriter? Figure it out now so you don't waste your time testing out different programs.

Make sure you have a way to back up your work. Because you know what's not fun? Getting almost halfway to your goal and having your computer crash.

This can be as simple as emailing your work to yourself every few days--just make sure it exists somewhere other than on your desktop!

Establish a homebase. Yes, you will write snippets of your novel everywhere in November. Coffee shops, your couch, your desk at work, your bed, and random stoplights will all become a part of your book. But 50,000 words is a lot, and I'm guessing you'll be doing the majority of your writing where you live.

If you have a desk, awesome. Hang up your calendar and to-do list, get a pumpkin candle, and print out some writing quotes and tape them above your desk. If you don't have a desk, get a basket where you can keep your computer, your notebook, your calendar, and all other writing necessities together.

Make a writing playlist. If you're like me and can't write to songs (seriously, I just end up listening to the lyrics!), then make a writing playlist to inspire you before you write, or to inspire brainstorm sessions.

Get inspired! Thank you, pinterest. I have a writing inspiration board that I know will inspire me when I just need a little extra boost. What inspires you? Taking pictures? Painting? Running? Whatever it is, do it. It's time to get your creativity flowing!

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? What are you doing to get ready?


27 comments:

  1. I am so excited (and nervous) for this challenge! Your tips are perfect! Oh and I also can't write while listening to songs I literally just sit there and analyze every lyric and what it means and then somehow tie the song into my writing which occasionally turns out well but usually is just annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having a hard time outlining my novel this year, but thankfully I have a brainstorming date with another writer friend this afternoon, so hopefully that problem will be solved! I've been pinning a TON of stuff on Pintrest. I have one public board for writing tips and ideas. Then I have another secret board just for my novel. Images of locations, inspiration for what my characters look like, layouts of their hypothetical apartments, etc. And I usually have music too - which is perfect for this year's novel because my novel is all based on songs this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a daunting challenge, but your tips are great! I'm the same as you-I cannot write with music...or any kind of talking noise in the background. I definitely prefer silence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this so much- so much really helpful and practical information!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to participate for a couple of years, but man, it's really intimidating and scary. Though, so much fun, I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering whether or not to participate this year (have tried the past few years, success last year!) I really recommend the piano guys or vitamin string quarter on pandora for instrumental music (i can't work in total silence!)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think having a homebase and writing playlist are the two most important things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this! Honestly Nanowrimo intimidates me but maybe I should take advantage of it this year because I need motivation for my book! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a perfect list! I always find setting myself up for success before starting something is the best, it clears my head and lets me accomplish my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all these NaNoWriMo posts you're doing! Great tips! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Writing a novel in a MONTH? I'm majorly impressed! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this checklist. Just what I needed

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a neat challenge! I can't wait to hear more about it. I write\sketch on a blank sheet of paper instead of the computer screen when I need to get the creative juices flowing too. It always works!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bow down to all who try this! It's such an intense challenge, but I'm sure fun in the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great checklist! I always need these to keep track of myself.
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this list! The first one is key. :) Great inspiration board on Pinterest too. I pinned a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The realness just sunk when I read how many days are left...but now I'm super super excited! Very good list of things to remember! I'm actually printing out my calendar tonight so I can add it to my notebook of things to keep with me for the month. As for playlists, I am the same way about songs with words. My suggestion, if you use Spotify check out their playlists under Genres & Moods and go for the ones labeled under Focus. I have a lot of these playlists saved for studying and they help me soooo much! There are literally hours upon hours of stuff to listen to! Best wishes, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this list. My husband will be participating for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have so much going on this November, but I'm already considering this for next yeaer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds so cool! Looking forward to what happens soon :)

    http://neatly-packaged.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're a rockstar! I have never participated but it sounds like such a cool idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My sister is an author & used to love NaNoWriMo. All of your writer people impress me. It's amazing. Do you usually take the time to plot everything out beforehand?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great ideas! I will definitely do several of these although most of my writing is done in spurts while sipping coffee at a Waffle House (I guess that would be my home base this month coming, lol). I have 3 flash drives to back up my work and use my tablet to jot notes on the fly. I like the idea of a calender with goals written in daily so I am going to be sure to do that. Thanks for the ideas and good luck during NaNoWriMo

    ReplyDelete
  24. This will be the first year since 2008 that I won't be participating. I just don't have the time or the ideas. I have a feeling I'll be missing it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blog is the first I've heard of this. I'm really compelled to do this but I'm hesitant to jump in so last minute with barely knowing how to do it - especially since I barely even have a plot idea. Ant suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving all of these! Looks like an inspirational challenge I may need to get on board with :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the check list you shared! Hot chocolate with extra marshmallows have been my go to drink the past few nights. I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo this year and I am extremely nervous but excited :D I am going to have to check out your writing inspiration board :D

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.