Image Map

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

8 Things to Say No to This Year.


1. Attributing motive to someone else's actions. I am so bad at this. I am constantly assuming other people's motives. When a friend doesn't respond to my texts for a few days, I assume she now hates me and we'll never hang out again and that's why she's not responding. When I don't get a lot of work emails I assume I'm getting fired and that's why they're pulling back. When I meet someone new and they immediately take a phone call, I assume it was fake and they just didn't want to talk to me. And on, and on, and on. 

Ascribing motive to someone else just makes you crazy. Just assume the best and move on.

2. Clutter. There's a reason you feel fresh and peaceful when you're in a clean space and stressed and overwhelmed when you're in a cluttered space. If you don't use it, give it away. It'll only stress you out taking up room in that extra closet. 

3. Viewing something you enjoy as wasting time. If you are enjoying the time, the time is not wasted. Watch that TV show, sit by the pool, read your book, enjoy your life.

4. Eating like crap just because it's convenient. Take care of yourself. You are worth the effort it takes to eat healthier. 

5. Valuing other's opinions about you more than your own. Should you listen to what those who love you have to say? Absolutely. Should you try to learn from outside criticism? Yes. Should you take what other people say about you to be the one and only truth? No. Considering you are the one who actually lives your life, your opinion should be of the highest value. 

6. Being solely future-minded. When you're constantly thinking about what comes next, you miss all the good that's happening now. Simple as that. 

7.  Doing things because you feel like you have to. Within reason. You should probably still do your laundry. And pay your mortgage. But volunteering, or staying late at work when you don't have to, or going to every happy hour you're invited to...nope. Not this year. 

8. Answering compliments with negativity. Why is it that when someone compliments you, it's a first instinct to talk yourself down? You look so pretty gets answered with Thanks, but my hair's a mess today. I can tell you've been working out gets answered with Yeah, but I've still got a long way to go. Being complimented on a job well done gets answered with what could have been better. 

Stop. Doing. This. "Thank you" works as a full sentence. 

What are you saying "no" to this year?
 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.