Image Map

Thursday, January 26, 2017

May We Never Lose Our Wonder.


A few days ago, I was coming back from a walk and noticed the sky behind my house looked pink. I went into the backyard and saw that the sunset was causing the prettiest pink explosions in the clouds. I didn't have my phone, so instead of trying to take a picture, I just sat down in the hammock with Jack and watch the sky for a minute. Just for a minute, I looked at how beautiful the world really is. 

And then I thought about how there is a sunset and explosion of colors in the sky every single night, and I could not tell you the last time I went outside to watch one. 

I've been thinking about that for a few days now. Not just the sunset, but lots of things that I just don't stop and enjoy because I've grown so used to them. Big things, like the stars. I'll look up and remark that they're pretty, but I don't stop to marvel at them, because I know they'll be there the next night, too. And little things, like morning coffee in bed. When I come back from a few days away from home, I think about how much I love my bed and being able to walk to my own coffee pot and fix a cup exactly how I like it. But on a daily basis? I don't really feel thankful for those things. 

I can't truly slow down in everything. I have a job and a baby and approximately two-hundred-and-four things to do every day, so taking every moment for a leisurely stroll to soak in wonder isn't an option. But I can appreciate the wonder all around me while I'm doing those two-hundred-and-four things. 

If you have a significant other, do you often stop and think about just how amazing it is that you found each other? Do you think about how incredible it is that two people can find love and build an entire life together? I don't. I should, but I don't.

I should watch the sunset. I should think about how amazing marriage is. I should marvel at the stars and at how good a hot cup of coffee is. I should be so thankful for our pool, for the fact that we own a house, for how easily accessible amazing food is. 

There's a lot of chaos around us lately, but goodness, there's a lot of beauty too. And in a few days, I'll probably be back to thanklessly gulping down a cup of coffee while I complain about my broken dryer instead of watching the sunrise, but hey, if I try to include just a little more wonder at the beauty around me, I think that's a good start. 


 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.