Image Map

Thursday, November 30, 2017

What November Taught Me.


To make the most of your moments.  Life is such a weird and delicate balance of planning for the future and living in the moment. You can't truly live in the moment all the time, otherwise, you'd spend all your money on something that made you happy right now and not be able to pay your rent at the end of the month, or take off traveling and not have a job when you get back.
But there is something to be said about being aware of the fact that this moment, today, is all you can be sure of. Hopefully you'll have tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, so of course it's important to plan and work and prepare. But don't get so busy doing those things that you don't even enjoy the moments in front of you. 

That not everyone will understand the choices you make, and that's okay. Have you ever needed to cancel plans pretty late? Not flaked out, or changed your mind, but desperately needed to cancel plans for your own well-being? And when you catch flack for it, you think, I wish I could just make you see into my head right now so you could understand this. But you can't, and that's okay. Becuase you made the decision you needed to make for you. 

I'm learning a lot of life is like that. Since so much of daily life is made up of decisions, it makes sense that there are going to be a few (or a lot) decisions that not everyone in your life understands, or agrees with, or supports. The important thing is to make the ones you think are right. 

That it's okay if you can't bring yourself to savor every single second. It doesn't make you a bad friend or partner or parent. I'm so big on savoring the time we're given, but do you know what I spent last night doing? Cleaning up throw up from my carpet. Do you know how much of me savored those moments? Exactly none. Zero percent. I love Jack, I love being his mom, I love spending time with him. But last night, my thoughts were somewhere along the lines of OKAY FRIDAY, I NEED YOU, STAT. And that's okay. Savor what you can, but truly, not all of it can be savored. And that's okay. 

What did this month teach you? 
 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.