Image Map

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

An Ode to Friendships.


To the friends you thought would be in your life forever, but aren't. These suck, I know they do. I had the honor of graduating with one of the closest friends I'd ever had in my life. I'd met her because of a group project and become so close with her, that I asked her to be in my wedding mere months after meeting her (side note: I have zero regrets about that). It's been years since we've spoken. Does that make me sad? Of course. Do I wish she was still in my life and that Jack knew her? Duh. But when I look back on the years she was in my life...man, what a gift she was. I can truly attribute lots of things about myself today to the fact that I met her, and she changed my life. Not everything is meant to be forever, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a giant gift.

To the friends that are there for you, even as you grow apart. These are solid gold. Friendships that have fizzled a bit due to time and distance and growing apart, but would pick up the phone no matter what time you called. Who would hop on a plane for you, no matter how long it's been since you last talked. These are rare and special. 

To the long-distance friends. Lucky for us, we live in a time where it's incredibly easy to stay in touch, no matter where you're both located. FaceTime dates, funny memes sent, snail mail cards from the dollar spot...these friendships are special because they take effort. You spend your time and energy on these friends, because they're worth it. 

To the friendships that ended poorly. Over something stupid, or maybe not. Maybe it was your fault, maybe theirs. Either way, what a bummer, right? But I bet it taught you something about yourself, even if it was hard to learn. And learning about yourself? Always a gift. 

To the online friends. Oh, what a tribe. I wouldn't have a blog if it weren't for this group! And let me tell you, they are real friends. When I met Sam for tacos for the first time, it didn't carry the awkwardness of meeting someone for the first time, it felt like, "Oh my gosh, I've missed you!" When I FaceTimed with Lindsay and Kerri for the first time, it didn't feel weird, it felt like "we have SO much to catch up on!" The first time I vented to Kait...like, got real and raw and a little scream-y...I didn't get a response from a stranger, I got soothing words from a dear friend. 

Does the internet complicate things? Yes. Does it have a lot of evil in it? Sure does. Does it cause harm? You betcha. But it is also good. It provides a platform to share, a place to meet and grow community, and place to say "no way, you too?!" I was having a horrid parenting day one time when Michelle messaged me about how freaking hard it was to parent toddlers. The relief I felt in that moment, simply hearing "me too!" was a gift. Internet friends? Yeah, those are a gift. 

To the _____ friends. You know, the "we're friends because we have _____ in common" friends. Mom friends, work friends, neighbor friends, the "we definitely wouldn't be friends if it weren't for _____" friends. Maybe they make drop-off and pick-up at your kid's school easier. Maybe they make the work day not seem so bad. Whatever it is, it's worth being thankful for.

To the friendships you didn't see coming. I think these are the friends that get sent to you because you need them the most. The most precious friendships in my life are the ones I didn't see coming, and couldn't have searched out on my own if I tried. Random roommates, neighbors, family members of friends. Like Jesus Himself looked down and thought, "Hang on, girl, I know who you need" and sent them right to me. I could cry over these (I do cry over these, haha). The biggest, biggest gift. 

Cheers to friendships! Life would be a heck of a lot harder without them.

 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.