Image Map

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Dreams.

We all have dreams, right?
Things we want to accomplish.
Ways we want to impact the world.
There's something I've noticed lately, especially with myself.
We don't really talk about our dreams.
There are plenty of reasons for this, of course.
We aren't sure if they'll ever actually come true.
We get caught up in the monotony of life.
Or the business of life.
Or, for me--fear.
I don't talk about my dreams because I'm afraid of failing.
Or of what people will think.
Or that I'll fail, and what people will think about me failing.

Do you know that some form of the phrase "do not be afraid" appears 365 times in the Bible?  I've seen things about this several times this week--through pinterest, other blogs, and twitter.  It seems to be blowing up right in front of my face.
And you know, it has really made me think.

God did not give us dreams so we could be afraid of them.
And God sure enough did not give us dreams so we would ignore them out of fear.
This has really challenged me this week, and truly given me a new perspective.

"I want to be a writer."
Sure, that's easy enough to say in conversation.
But when people ask questions beyond that, like "what do you want to write?" or, "what are you working on now?" I tend to change the subject.
Why?
Because what if I tell them, and then I fail at it?
Today, I have decided that I am done thinking that way.

I want to be a writer.
I am currently writing a book.
There are thirty-nine days until my twenty-first birthday, and my goal is to have a completed {unedited, but completed} manuscript ready by my birthday.
That is my goal.
That is my dream.
Sure, there's a chance that I could fail at that.  But that is certainly NO reason not to try.

It feels really freaking good to write that down.
What's your dream?
You should write it down.
You should tell be.
You should not be afraid. 


"For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
-2 Timothy 1:7


7 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! :) You should go for it in confidence! God blessed you with the glorious gift of being able to portray, explain, and give feeling through words on paper! Use it! :) Also, look into Bumblebee House Ink for publishing! They're great!
    http://www.bumblebeehouseink.com/

    collectivelycaitlin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such a thoughtful, honest, inspiring post. Write away! Give this manuscript 110%. You'll be so proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really hit home for me. It was like reading an excerpt from my journal. I dream of writing, too, but even me typing that was hard to do. It's so difficult to put your dreams out there, so I applaud you! You can do anything you dream of. Don't ever let the world take away that tenacity and that spirit to strive for what you want. Thank you for your words and sharing your dreams. You are awesome! Thank you also for following my blog:) I'm so glad you did, because when I clicked on your blog I was immediately smitten and can't wait to read more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an exciting goal! i believe you can do it, especially because you are putting it in writing and staying accountable! love your darling blog! good luck with the goal! XO
    the well-traveled wife

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck on finishing your manuscript! you have a great dream and you're right, we shouldn't be afraid of aspiring for greatness, God has given us dreams because He wants us to achieve great things. You are young and talented, and with perseverance, you can be what you want to be. You just inspired me with this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 tim ... my favorite scripture! way to follow your dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chelsea, I too am a writer and have always struggled with the way others view my dream. It's taken a long time for me to proudly proclaim writing as a gift from God rather than something to be afraid to follow. So glad you are chasing after the love God has set in your heart :) Good luck with your book! I finished one a few years ago, and the result is worth all of the hard work--don't give up! :)

    grace & love,
    Kristyn

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.