Image Map

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Don't be like the rest of them, darling.

Sometimes, I get super discouraged about blogging.
I read these other blogs that seem so beautiful and polished, always the right amount of funny and serious, with thousands of followers.
I think, "I'll never get to that point."
Which is usually followed by, "How can I be more like them?"

And then, my little blog, which I loved a few days ago, seems sad and not good enough.

Ah, the curse of comparison.

I was thinking on this today, and how it transfers to every area of life.  I joke with my mom that when we go shopping, I usually start the day feeling great about my outfit.  But by the time we've hit a few stores {especially Dillard's, with their perfectly manicured employees working the perfume counters}, I feel like I might as well just have worn sweatpants to the mall because clearly I will never be as fashionable as the rest of them.

The same goes for eating habits.  I've been trying to have a more healthy lifestyle, and part of it is using my juicer every morning.  Lately, I've been feeling pretty fantastic about it.  Well, I just read an article about how you should only juice organic fruit, because all other fruit is horrible.  I can't afford to buy everything organic, so if even my fruit isn't healthy,  I might as well eat McDonald's for every meal for the rest of my life.

This train of thought can go on and on and on.

and on and on and on. 

Let me just put a stop to that right here.

This way of thinking is wrong. 

This way of thinking is a lie. 

You were made to be you.  
You were made fearfully and wonderfully and uniquely.
You were made with a plan and a purpose.
You were made with dreams and desires and passions specifically crafted for your character.
And you are amazing.

Do not try to change that.  Do not lessen the masterpiece that you are by holding it up to other paintings and comparing your flaws to their successes.  Do not weaken the amazing creation that you are by trying to conform into someone else. Don't cheapen the incredible character that God created for you by wishing you could be more like someone else and less like yourself.

Just don't.

Because yourself is one truly amazing self.

And you know what?  Once you stop comparing yourself and your lifestyle to other people and their lifestyles, it is much easier to see just how amazing you are.

So let's all agree to stop the vicious cycle of comparison.
To stop lying to ourselves.
To start enjoying our own amazing, unique, personalities.

No one else is ever going to be able to accomplish the things that you were created to accomplish.  So why would you want to be anyone else?  Why would you want to miss out on that?

"Don't be like the rest of them, darling." 




25 comments:

  1. Your posts hit me in a beautiful way every. single. time. I love your blog!! I love reading because you inspire me. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emily!! I really appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this post!!! I feel the same way about my blog all of the time and with other things, too. You are right, though, all of us are unique and need to love ourselves for who we are! :) I just wrote a post about being your own kind of beautiful- I'd love if you checked it out and followed along! :)

    And PS. Your blog is awesome!!!

    LB

    www.lbinwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow i totally love this post. i absolutley can relate to this- i get caught in that vicious cycle many many times during the day. it's awful. it's hard! i'm just not loving myself enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love yourself, girl! I read your blog, so I know you are fantastic!

      Delete
  4. You have the most beautiful way of putting words together. I loved this post so much! And your timing in posting it couldn't have been better. I've been feeling a little bummed lately due to comparison as well. It seems to be something that I fall back into every once in a while, and then I have to snap myself back out of it again. Thanks for being the kick in the pants that I needed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, your comments always make my day! Thank you for being so generous with your compliments, they mean a lot.

      Delete
  5. great post! You can never read too many of these...they're good reminders- by the way, I am loving your header! SUPER CUTE! newest follow from Olive and Ivy's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been doing some hard core blog creeping tonight and this is hands down the best thing I've come across. This exact same feeling has been haunting me and literally taking ALL OF THE FUN OUT OF BLOGGING!!!! Thanks for being honest. You've got yourself a new follower. And cyber friend. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, nothing wrong with some blog creeping. Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  7. "Never compare your behind-the-scenes to someone else's highlight reel." No matter how many times I hear that line, it's still difficult not to do. ESPECIALLY in the blogging community! There's always this struggle to have a beautiful home, a creative life, a fabulous wardrobe, and an $800 camera to take beautiful photos of it all.

    It's exhausting. But you're absolutely right, you can only be you. I always love reading your posts because you always get right to the heart of things. And you always have a way of writing about whatever has been sitting uneasily in my head, and putting it at ease. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right-SO many expectations we unknowingly put on ourselves when we compare our lives to others.

      Thank you so much!! Your compliments mean a lot to me!

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much! I'm headed over to yours right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much! I'm checking it out as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been feeling this way lately too! Thanks for writing this. It's so true!

    { Jess }
    http://jmariesharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally needed this today!

    Thanks for the follow, now following you :) Love your blog!

    Cheriese xx She may be the Song that Summer Sings

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this post! Lovely blog.... Jayma

    http://JaymasTips.blogspot.com

    Have a Beautifully Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and so very true. We are the first to compare ourselves to others. But if we are comparing ourselves there is probably someone out their comparing their self to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this about my blog all the time (and most everything in general really) :-) But, you know what I keep telling myself? That as long as I am happy with myself and things, then it doesn't matter what the rest of the world thinks!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.