Image Map

Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Very Present Christmas

I usually hate the term "unplugged" when it's applied to technology.  Usually because the people who use it are the same people who can't make it through a conversation without looking at their phone and will throw their kid an iPad the second tears start, but they went a whole hour without their iPhone, and they're proud of it.  So they post on instagram to tell you about it. 

"Spent the whole morning #unplugged.  It felt so good to be without technology for awhile.
#unplugged #familytime #noiphone
(posted at 7:30 AM) 

It feels very hipstocritical.  (That's a mix between hipster and hypocritical.  You're welcome.)

A few days ago, I was sitting on the couch taking pictures of every single thing Gatsby did.  I got a good one so I sat there for a good ten minutes in search of the perfect filter to use to make sure his little face could be seen. 

And then I looked up.  And Gatsby was chasing Chris around the Christmas tree, and for a second, it felt like I was in a movie.  It was the cutest thing I've ever seen, and it felt like such a perfect moment.  And all I could think was, why in the world am I on instagram right now? 

I do realize the irony of talking about unplugging on a blog, but I don't mean a completely technology-free Christmas.  I'm so thankful for all things iPhone, especially around the holidays.  So I'm not talking about unplugging, I'm talking about being present. 

When I pick up my phone instead of just enjoying the moment, it's not that I'm choosing to not be present, it's simply a habit.  I'm so used to not going thirty seconds without doing something that if there's a break in busyness, I automatically pick up my phone.  I automatically check twitter.  Twitter isn't bad.  My phone isn't bad.  But this Christmas, I want my automatic response to
downtime to be to enjoy it.  To actually live in the moment rather than diving into social media and letting the moment zip right past me.

Being present is a gift I'm giving to myself this year. Because I don't want to miss these moments.  I don't want to miss the days leading up to my first married Christmas.  I don't want to miss fun nights with sweet friends.  I don't want to miss anything.  I want to be fully present for all of it.

And you just can't be fully present if your eyes are glued to your phone. 

  

Check out this month's featured sponsor:

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. My boyfriend teased me earlier this week because I was videoing the Christmas tree lighting instead of watching it without my phone instead of my face. Following your lead on being more present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah! so funny. you are so true about the whole "unplugged" thing! I went to the mountains this weekend and loved leaving my phone around the house but I still took pictures and still had my phone with me. being present is the focus - and maybe you need to unplug to do that and learn that but the goal is to have a healthy balance and relationship with technology not just boycott it and have "unplugged moments"

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all should take a lesson from this and try to enjoy the moment directly and not through a lens of anykind ( unless you wear glasses of course)

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.