Image Map

Monday, February 27, 2017

What February Taught Me.


It's so important to stop and remember the good. desperately wanted to stay in Florida. I so badly wanted to be able to buy a house. I craved a backyard, a pool, a safe neighborhood where I could take Jack for walks in his cute little tricycle...and I got every single one of those things. 

I enjoy those things every single day. But I don't pause nearly enough to remember that a year ago, I didn't have those things. I don't stop to remember how badly I wanted all of this and how amazing it is that it all happened. But when I do...when I stop and reflect and am truly thankful for all of this, it completely changes my attitude and perspective. It makes me happier, it makes it hard to be upset about things, and it reminds me how good life is. 

There's so much good in our lives, and we need to pause to fully notice it every now and then. 

You can't make everyone happy, and sacrificing your own happiness to try to do that is not worth it. See also: It's not your job to make everyone happy. It is your job to make yourself happy. Work on that instead. 

Saving money is way easier when you have a reason. I got a taste of this when we were getting ready to move to Gainesville. In Orlando, we lived downtown, walking distance from 100 happy hours and shops and ways to spend money. The last few months we lived there, I'd say, "We can go get dinner and drinks, or we could get furniture for our new back yard!" When you put it that way, it's easy. 

Chris has his vacation time coming up and since time together is so rare and so precious, I know I want to make the most of it. So since the beginning of the year I've been saving for our vacation. And even though the stores are full of new spring clothes and I want all of them, it's been so easy to save money, because I think, "I could easily spend $200 in this store, or I could save that and make our vacation that much better." I hope that makes sense and I'm not just rambling. Bottom line: If you give yourself an actual reason to save money (not just doing it for the sake of being responsible), it's way easier. 

What did this month teach you?
 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.