Image Map

Monday, August 12, 2013

Magic moments.

I've been guilty, I think, of watching for a big moment.  Waiting for a "big" moment.  Overlooking all of the little moments in hopes that a better one will come, full of magic and wonder and success.

This is what I'm learning.

All of the little moments that are happening while I'm so stupidly waiting for a big moment?  Those are the big moments.  The magical moments.

When someone asks me what I want to do, I say I want to write.  That I'm trying to get published.  That that is what I am waiting on.  I don't say that I want to have perfect days where I lay in the sun and float down a river.  I don't say that I want to experience new things and meet new people and travel to new places.  I don't say that I want to make dinner for my husband that turns out so good that I feel great about myself for a solid week.  I don't say I want to have late nights with friends, laughing and loving life.

But I should.  Because those?  Those are the big moments.  The moments that make me desperately happy to be alive and incredibly thankful that this is my life.  The ones I will look back on with love and longing and happiness.  The big moment I'm waiting on?  Maybe it'll come.  Maybe it will one day.  But you know what?  It won't hold a candle to these moments. Because everyday life is beautiful.  It is precious.  It is a blessing.  And it is worth being celebrated and sought after as much as the "big" moment.

Life is beautiful.  Celebrate it.  Live in the moment.  Don't waste it waiting for the next big moment, because you'll miss the truly important ones.

"But this is what I’m finding, in glimpses and flashes: this is it. This is it, in the best possible way. That thing I’m waiting for, that adventure, that move-score-worthy experience unfolding gracefully. This is it. Normal, daily life ticking by on our streets and sidewalks, in our houses and apartments, in our beds and at our dinner tables, in our dreams and prayers and fights and secrets – this pedestrian life is the most precious thing any of use will ever experience.” 
 Shauna Niequist

Check out this month's featured sponsor:

14 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful reminder to simply enjoy life, right now, every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about this. This is how I feel a lot of the time too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. Remembering this alone makes one a much happier person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect post! It's so true. Life is made up of a lot of wonderful little moments and they are just as important as the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all about living in the now...which is always a challenge in our future-based mode of living. I do the same - am always contemplating a time when things will be bigger, better, when, as you say, THAT moment has arrived.

    But right now, this VERY second, is the only moment we ever have, and it's something worth being grateful for. :)

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I believe you're inside my head and jotting down my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post. I have been waiting for a big moment for over a year and a half now and honestly I am worn out and bitter. I am starting to wonder if it will ever come and what that means. Does it mean I am a lesser person? Does it mean I am searching and waiting for the wrong thing? Maybe I do need to slow down, see the good in each day and moment before it passes me by.

    ~Diane at sweetcatastropheblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Your photo (the profile photo in the wedding dress) is lovely! I love to write as well, I started writing a fictional novel and got about 240 pages in before life took over and it took a seat on the back burner. I would love to finish it and get it out in the world someday. I guess we share the same passion. Whenever I am down or stressed I write, write, write. It is so therapeutic.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely inspiring! I love love love your posts.
    -Jenna
    justwritingmymind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a budding writer myself I truly identify with this and your whole blog (that I've read) is so well done and lovely. So glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so true, celebrating the 'everyday' is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this, and the quote. it's true, in our efforts to reach those big moments, we sometimes forget about the little ones. but the little ones add up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is so beautiful! I'm guilty of the same thing. There's so much about life to love!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.