Image Map

Friday, August 16, 2013

Being a friend.

What does being a good friend mean?

I've had few really good friends in my life.

I've always enjoyed staying in, hanging out at home.  I would rather hang out with one friend that I enjoyed being with rather that go to a party with tons of "friends" that might as well be strangers.  In high school, I would say I had maybe 2 really close friends over the four years, and my best friend moved to college when I was starting sophomore year.  This was okay though, because my mom has always been my best friend.  We always did girly stuff together, crafted together, went to movies together.  So the lack of friends never really bothered me all that much.

It wasn't until I went to college that I experienced having true friends that I got to hang out with on a consistent basis and even live with.  All the clichés are true: I made friendships that I will have for the rest of my life.  I met my bridesmaids.  I met the girls who I will forever call friends, sisters, and some of the best people I know.

I truly believe one of the best things you can be in life is a friend.  Not just a friend, but a true, honest, good friend.

So what does that mean?  How do you define friendship?  What makes you a good friend?

I think it's being there for that person.  It's being crazy sometimes and serious other times.  It's listening and it's talking.  It's giving and it's taking.  But I think more than anything, it's being able to selflessly know when that person needs which thing.

It's knowing when you need to talk and when you need to listen.  It's knowing when they need a night out and when they need to stay in and watch the notebook.  It's spending the money you've been saving for gas to buy them an overpriced coffee because they've had a bad day.  It's crying when they cry, laughing when they laugh, no matter how things are going in your life.

You may never do anything that the world considers great.  You may never reach fame.  Your name may never be known by many.  You may never become rich.  But if you are a true friend, you leave a legacy.  And that is worth more than all of the above combined.

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity."
Proverbs 17:17

What do you think makes a true friend?

Have an amazing weekend!

Check out this month's featured sponsor:

8 comments:

  1. Oooh love this! I've had the same experiences with friends. I had two really good friends in high school and now that I'm out in the real world, I've met a few more really close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing from one of my teachers in high school that the friends you make in college are the ones that stay with you for life. At the time I thought that was ridiculous, that my high school friends would always be there. But, it is so true! I rarely talk to friends from high school on Facebook, much less in real life. My good college friends though? It's like we picked up where we left off when we're together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! My sister is my best friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, it is so so true!
    P.S. You are the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend, someone who loves even when it hurts to love. College is where I found the majority of my real friends also! It was amazing to discover friendship in a godlier way.

    Love your blog & you are absolutely gorgeous! Cute layout.

    http://haleybrianna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes! Love this. A true friend is faithful.
    I'm obsessed with your writing!

    justwritingmymind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. I'm so grateful for my best friend who I know will never judge me for any of my decisions or thoughts.

    Love your blog!

    XO,
    Catherine (your newest follower)
    FEST

    ReplyDelete
  8. all so true! i'm definitely a person who's had a smaller number of really close friends which is more important to me than having a lot of acquaintances.
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.