Image Map

Thursday, January 29, 2015

3 Books I Read in January & Whether or Not You Should Read Them.



I was in a strange and rare autobiography mood this month for some unexplained reason. But, it does explain why I only read three books this month. I just can't tear through them like fiction books.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling


Plot: Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut up about it?” -via Goodreads

Favorite Quote: 
“I don't want to hear about the endless struggles to keep sex exciting, or the work it takes to plan a date night. I want to hear that you guys watch every episode of The Bachelorette together in secret shame, or that one got the other hooked on Breaking Bad and if either watches it without the other, they're dead meat. I want to see you guys high-five each other like teammates on a recreational softball team you both do for fun.” Her thoughts on married life. 

My Thoughts: I got to a lunch meeting early, so I sat in my car and read this. At one point, I was laughing out loud so much that I put the book down to wipe my eyes, only to notice that someone had parked next to me and was full on gawking at me, presumably making sure I wasn't having a seizure alone in my car. And that tells you everything you need to know about this book. 

Should You Read it?: If you know who Mindy Kaling is, then yes. If not, you need to go watch The Office.

I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends by Courtney Robertson

Plot: "For the first time ever, a former Bachelor contestant takes us along on her journey to find love and reveals that “happily ever after” isn't always what it seems. Filled with all the juicy details Courtney fans and foes alike want to know, I Didn’t Come Here to Make Friends is a must-read for every member of Bachelor nation." -via Goodreads.

Favorite Quote: This isn't a quotable book. 

My Thoughts: The Bachelor is the show that I hate that I love. But alas, I do love it, making this book seem like Christmas morning. I've gotta hand it to her, homegirl basically just gave everyone the what-for by telling every secret, ever. Wonder what happens when the cameramen go home? She tells you. Wonder what happens after the show ends but before it airs? She tells you. It's a magic book full of secrets that left me feeling so sad for these people, but so happy that I got to know all these things. Very healthy, I know. 

Should You Read it?: If you are a fan of the show, then heck yes. If not, nope. 

Yes Please by Amy Poehler 


Plot: "In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book is full of words to live by." -via Goodreads

Favorite Quote: "If you can dance and be free and not embarrassed, you can rule the world.” 

My Thoughts: I laughed and cried and told my husband, "This is SO accurate!" So many times while reading this book. I also loved getting to hear about behind the scenes SNL action. The whole book just felt like catching up with an old friend over coffee. 

Should You Read it?: Definitely.
***
Reading these definitely made me feel like I was getting all the cool-kid gossip, but now I'm ready to curl up in my pajamas and devour some fiction. What did you read this month?

37 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm going to have to read Courtney's book now. I couldn't decide if it was worth it--but I love the learning about the background of shows so I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never liked The Bachelor, so yeah. One is DEFINITELY off the table for me.

    However, I've been hesitant to pick up the other two. It's not that I dislike autobiographies, but I sometimes get bored reading them. I mean, I love Ellen Degeneres, but I hated "Seriously.. I'm Kidding". I had to force myself to finish it! I might finally give these a chance though.. maybe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Courtney's book. I am such a Bachelor fan and wish I wasn't but I can't help it, it's too good! I've also thought about reading Sean's book that just came out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh love this list! I read Mindy's book this summer and just LOVED it! I've had Amy Poehler's on my must-read list for awhile, but I had no idea Courtney wrote a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding Mindy and Amy's book to my Amazon wishlist now. Last year I was on a plane next to a stranger reading a book and got so tickled I was crying and laughing so hard, I closed the book because I couldn't stop but I'm sure he thought I was insane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this! Yes, Please is on my list of things to read! I cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the exact same reaction to Mindy's book. I had to stop reading it when other people were around because they kept looking at me funny for laughing so hard to myself.

    I've been dying to read Yes, Please! This month I read Unbroken, One More Thing by BJ Novak, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. All I would HIGHLY recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so behind. I still haven't read Tina Fey's book, so I'm really, really behind. I decided that I'm devoting this spring to funny lady months and plan to read Tina's, Amy's, Mindy's, maybe an Irma Bombeck and some Dorothy Parker stories. So I'll just basically opt out of wearing mascara. I'm going to ruin it with all the laughter.
    Texas Jak
    www.novermyhead.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Mindy's book and I absolutely can't wait to read Amy's as soon as possible!!! I'm not a fan of the Bachelor but reading the behind the scenes dish actually sounds really fun to me haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Please and Is Everyong Hanging Out Without Me have both been on my list of books to read for awhile, so glad you just confirmed that I need to get on those soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've debated reading Amy's and Mindy's books, and now I definitely will! Love them both! Great reviews, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVED Mindy's book. I can't wait to read Yes, Please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've also been on a weird celebrity autobiog kick (even though they take way longer to read than fiction). Loved Amy's book, and the behind the scenes Bachelor sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Please and Mindy's book has been on my list FOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been on the waiting list for Yes, Please for awhile now at the library. I'm glad these are all good books to read. I've been in a weird mood to want to read autobiographies lately too. And lots of non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooooh I want to read all of these. I hate to love the Bachelor too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mindy and Amy's books are both on my list. But I didn't know Courtney wrote a book! I must read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy's book looks awesome...thanks for the suggestions!!

    p.s. love your blog...i'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have wanted to read Amy and Mindy's books but it scares me a bit that they push their beliefs a bit throughout the books? I am looking for biographies like this that are funny and entertaining, do you think these were pushy in any way?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked Mindy & Amy's books but not as much as Tina's (so wish we were really on a first name basis).

    Not a Bachelor fan, but I did watch that season and I absolutely hated Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll admit, I don't read as often as I should, but I keep hearing great things about Yes Please. I may have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read a book in an embarassing amount of time, mostly because I have no idea where to start. I def want to check out Mindy and Amy Pohler's books, I love them both (how could you not)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been debating over whether or not to read "Yes Please". It is reassuring to hear your thoughts on it. I might just have to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've had such a hard time focusing long enough to read a book ever since I finished the Maze Runner series although I've heard such good things about Yes, Please that I may have to attempt it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amy and Mindy's books are on my list, need to get them NOW! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy Poehler's book was basically life changing for me, I swear I bookmarked about every other sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looooooved Mindy Kaling's autobiography! I "read" books through audible on the T and I was laughing hysterically. I'm pretty sure I was that person on the T until I was finished with the book. I've wanted to read Amy Pohler's as well, so I'm going to have to do it! If you're feeling another autobiography at some point, check out Tina Fey's. Another one of my fave comedians.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am halfway through "Yes, Please" and I am LOVING it.
    But who doesn't love Amy Poehler? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read Courtney's book a few months back and even though I didn't watch her season I loooved all the juicy details. The past month I read Night Circus, Little Bee, and Okive Kitteridge. I'm seriously wanting to read those other two on your list next! Have you read Bossypants?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I read Mindy Kaling's book last year and loved it and then a couple weeks ago when I had to drive to our sister company's office overnight I decided to get Yes Please as an audio book and am so glad I did - IT WAS AWESOME! I am pretty sure I would have loved the book in print but it just made it that much better to actually hear Amy Poehler read it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for this! I've been wondering whether or not to read Mindy's book and you just made me download it :) I now have it on Audible and Kindle. I"m so excited to get started with it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've read both Mindy and Amy's books (both on a plane bad decision) and I was laughing hysterically. I'm sure just like you I had people worried about my health. They are both so down to earth, funny, and witty I couldn't help love them. They just related to my life it seemed and made me feel a bit better about all my awkward endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm currently reading Yes, Please.. and even before the actual book started, I could not stop laughing out loud. :) i could just hear everything in her voice.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Okay, I'm convinced I need to read Mindy's book now. Also, having actually watched the season with Courtney on it... I'm pretty interested in what she has to say! I was NOT a fan of her, but I'm sure the show barely captured who she actually is..

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm really intrigued by Courtney Robertson's book! The ebook is available at my library so I just checked it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooo, I've been wanting to read Mindy and Amy's books anyway, so I'm glad you recommend them. :) But I've never seen The Bachelor, so I think I'll skip that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVED Yes, Please. Amy is amazing

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.