Image Map

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Some Things are Non-Negotiable: 3 Movies You Must Watch.

"Certain things leave you in your life and certain things stay with you.  And that's why we're all interested in movies-those ones that make you feel, you still think about.  Because it gave you such an emotional response, it's actually part of your emotional make-up, in a way." 
-Tim Burton

I love movies.  I love everything about them.  I love going to the theatre and getting popcorn and watching previews.  I love renting a movie and curling up on the couch.  I love that you can become completely attached to characters and lost in a story that lasts only an hour or two.  I just love movies.

Because of my love for movies, I have a lot of favorite movies.  But there are three that you absolutely must love if we're going to have any chance of being friends.

1. E L F .


Elf Movie Quotes

Let's just go ahead and get this one out of the way.  Christmas and Will Ferrell. . .hello.  What's not to love?  If you are able to let the Christmas season pass without watching this movie, I feel very sad for you and I'm sorry that you have a sad life.  And if, for some insane reason, you haven't seen it yet, don't worry.  I will be back the day after Thanksgiving to remind you that it's time to watch it.

Best Quote:  "You sit on a throne of lies.  You don't smell like Santa, you smell like beef and cheese." 

I actually think it's impossible to pick a best quote with this movie, but that's the one that makes me laugh the most.

2.  R E M E M B E R   T H E   T I T A N S . 


Remember the Titans Quotes

Oh, this movie.  I think that everyone should have to watch this movie at least once.  I'm not a football fan, but this isn't just a movie about football.  It's about hard work and racism and teamwork and joy.  It's also the reason I cry every time I hear the song, Ain't No Mountain High Enough.  

Don't be tricked into not seeing this because you think it's a movie about football.  Because really, it's not.

Best Quote:  "People say that it can't work, black and white.  Here, we make it work every day.  We still have our disagreements, of course, but before we reach for hate, always, always, we remember the Titans."

3.  E L I Z A B E T H T O W N .  


Elizabethtown movie quotes

This is my favorite movie of all time, ever ever ever.  It's a beautiful story about life and failure and death and love and pretty much everything else in-between.  It also has the most incredible soundtrack of any movie I've ever seen.

It's one of those things where I don't even know how to begin telling you why you should watch this movie, because it's so amazing that it blows my mind that you may not want to watch it.  So please oh please do yourself a favor and watch it immediately.  There is no time to waste here, people.  It's time for your life to truly begin.

Bonus:  It's on instant-watch on Netflix.

Best Quote:  "No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy.  A motto of the British Special Air Force is:  'Those who risk, win.'  A single vine shoot is able to grow through cement.  The Pacific Northwestern salmon beats itself bloody on it's quest to travel hundreds of miles upstream against the current, with a single purpose.  Sex, of course, but also. . .life." 

What are your non-negotiable, must-watch movies?

26 comments:

  1. I would say 10 Things I Hate About You. It's cute, it's funny, and it's a subtle adaptation of a Shakespeare play (most people don't believe me when I tell them this). Plus, Heath Ledger is in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with all of these :)

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! We could be friends IRL because I LOVE all of these movies!! My favorite quote from ELF is "I just like smiling! Smiling's my favorite!" Also I desperately want to do a road trip like the one in Elizabethtown. That movie seriously makes me think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not generally a huge movie fan (I know I'm a total weirdo) but I do love a movie night with a really good movie every so often. I love Elf and Elizabethtown has been on my "I need to see this" list forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I need to watch Elizabethtown stat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love movies--everything about them. That's why I do reviews on my blog. My husband LOVES Elf. But I don't think I've ever watched Elizabethtown all the way through, so I'll have to get on that.

    Some of my faves include: The Nightmare Before Christmas, Jesus' Son, The 25th Hour, Moonrise Kingdom...I could go on, but I shouldn't. :)

    www.ohtobeamuse.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to see Elizabethtown! Elf is one of my all time favorites. We watch it every year on Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of these! :) I think my non-negotiables on movies have to be french movies. I have a pretty nice collection of french movies. If we are to be friends, you have to at least give them a try :)

    http://neatly-packaged.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently watched Elf (I wanted to see what the fuss was all about) and I thought it was hilarious! Remember the Titans is one of my all-time favorites, too. I haven't seen Elizabethtown...Netflix tonight, maybe?? Haha. I would have to say that my non-negotiable, must-watch film would have to be A Walk to Remember. It's just amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect movies! I have always held Elizabethtown as one of my top 3 and so many people tell me I'm crazy. I think it's such a great movie, I'm glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE ELF. I have never seen Elizabethtown - must add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ELF! Seriously who doesn't love Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Princess Bride is my non-negotiable. If someone doesn't like that movie, I don't know that we could be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ELF is my one non-negotiable movie. It is always the first movie I watch every Christmas season. My husband's all-time favorite Christmas movie is Christmas Vacation, but he let's me win and we watch his second.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got so excited when I saw the title of this post! :) I love movies and especially "new" ones I haven't seen yet! I have seen all of these though and YES YES YES to Elizabethtown! I definitely have a separate list for must-see Christmas movies and Elf is for sure on that list (as is The Holiday).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never seen Elizabethtown but I absolutely hate romantic or sappy movies, I've had nightmares about being forced to watch the Notebook again. I might stay away. But totally agree on the other two!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It doesn't get any better than ELF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elf is awesome but I love Christmas Vacation too! It's random but I love Four Weddings and a Funeral. And any of the Jason Bourne movies . . . those are so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't watched any of these. I'll have to fix that.:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen 1 and 3 but haven't seen 2. will need to add it to my list so we can still be friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post! I haven't seen #3 but just added it to my Queue - well, trying...but it's having technical difficulties.

    The Blind Side. The Magic of Ordinary Days. The Sandlot. Some Kind of Wonderful. Breakfast Club.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love all 3 of these and now want to have a movie marathon! I love the newest version of Pride and Prejudice. I probably watch it too often. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Elf is my favorite movie to watch during the holidays! Will Farrell is just so hilarious and the movie always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I've seen it. :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Juicy Couture Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd probably agree with Elf. Along with Better Off Dead, When Harry Met Sally (My favorite movie of all time), Dirty Dancing and The American President

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so need to see Elizabethtown! & my 3 must watch are Twister, Baby Mama & 10 Things I Hate about You. Bonus points if you'll watch 8 seconds with me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have such a fond feeling towards Elizabethtown. It was the first movie my husband and I went to see in theaters as a couple!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.