Image Map

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

One Big Thing I've Learned This Year: Getting the Most out of Life.

how to set goals that matterThis year was the first time I sat down and really thought about what I wanted to get out of the year.  Instead of just making goals, I tried to focus on lessons, experiences, fullness.

I'll never go back to just setting goals.

Having these things in my mind and written down where I can see them has helped guide my year.  It's helped me make decisions, both big and little.  It's made me choose things I wouldn't have normally chose and do things with a different attitude.

On January first, I made a list of what I wanted this year.  I wanted to be brave and adventurous.  I wanted fullness of life and new experiences.  I wanted to hustle my backside off and be proud of myself at the end of each day.  I wanted to live and breathe all things creative.

I have succeeded and failed in these areas many times already, and it's only July.  But there is way more bravery, experience, hard work, and creativity in my life at this moment than there would have been if I would have simply sat down on January first and decided that I wanted to lose five pounds and clean out my closet in 2014.

Goals are fantastic, but they can go beyond a project that you can begin and end.  For me, that's scary.  I don't like it.  I can clearly begin and end a 30-day workout, but at what point does "be brave and take risks" get crossed off the list?  Probably never.  And that's probably one of the greatest things that's happened to my life.

So if you feel like maybe you're not getting all you wanted to get out of this year, I really think you should try this.  Focus on how you want to feel and what you want your life to look like at this time next year.  Make some goals that you may never be able to cross off your list.  There's no time like January first, and there's no time like July fifteenth.

What are some things you'd like to get out of life this year?

19 comments:

  1. I really need to work on being more brave and adventurous, especially when it comes to putting myself out there to make new friends. I also want to be more motivated to work out. I used to go 5-6 times a week, but after adopting Bear, I felt bad leaving him at home even longer. I need to stop making excuses though and get my butt back in the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't set "resolutions" anymore because I found I never took them seriously. I did want to become more healthy so I challenged myself to run at least 7 miles a week, some weeks I surpass that and others I barely meet. I've found myself looking forward to my runs now, something I never thought would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a great post. i definitely set goals and sometimes i meet them, and sometimes i don't. i like the idea of setting unattainable goals, like to be the best person i can - well, i'll be working on that till the day i die! lol. right now i'm just focusing on being healthy and fit, because i am seriously lacking in that department. i wouldn't even know where to begin to be brave and adventurous though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously love this idea! I'm not a big list maker-- or it's not something that has ever been very productive for me in my personal life, so I can definitely see how writing out more comprehension. This is something I am going to give a lot of thought to today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I tried to create a little mantra for myself about how I want to live my life for a similar reason. You can never just check off "be kind" or "take risks" or "live for adventure". There are times I need my lists, I need little goals to motivate me but overall I think more fulfillment comes from a model lifestyle like you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I can easily see how much better it would be to focus on lessons and experiences rather than easy-to-cross-off goals. I am going to have to think about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and something I am going to have to really try! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!! Some things are always a work in progress and that's okay because they are big enough that they always should be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a healthy way to look at goals! Love it!

    So Much Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! It's a great idea to also record how you want to feel about things in your life, just not what you want to do. I don't think I really sat down and thought, "I want this, this and this and I'm tired of feeling this, this and this" but those thoughts were on my mind when I accepted my new job last month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ending made me think of something my husband said the other day (we were talking about planting a tree) and after I agreed that we should, he said "They say the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. And the second best time is today."
    Great thoughts on how to live a life with few(er) regrets

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome! I had a similar idea with my #Commitment2014 Instead of resolutions and goals I made a plan to be more committed this year in work, marriage, parenting....well everything! I feel the same as you...having those reminders has made me gain more in my 6 months than I normally would have in a year! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cool perspective. I love crossing things off the list, but I have never thought about setting goals that I would be trying to achieve throughout life. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have such an awesome perspective!! taking this attitude with me to italy.

    xx

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chels, what a great way to think about goal-setting--couching it in the kinds of things you want to learn and experience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great advice! I need to work on being more brave and hustling to make things happen. I have a print on my dresser that says "Be brave" and I don't act on that as much as I could. I made a list of 24 things to do befroe I turn 24 (in February, but I'm finding that although that's fun, I'm spending more time focusing on being brave and finding clarity. It's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post is spot on! I always feel like I can't set goals for myself mid-year, as if there is some unwritten rule that I need to wait until Jan 1st comes back around. But, this isn't true at all. Goals can be set and accomplished mid-year, it all comes down to a little thought and motivation to push us through and help us along!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this. You're right. At what point do you cross off being brave and taking risks from your list? I think it should be an ongoing goal. I'm hoping by the end of this year to be happy with where my life is heading and be able to look back at the year and feel proud of what I have accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to write lists but I suck at fulfilling a list that is any thing other than grocery and errand related.

    I just set out to do more of what I used to do and so far, this year - we've been crazy busy ever since J got back from deployment. We are always so busy doing God only knows what.

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.