Image Map

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

YA Books You Need to Read This Summer.

Even in Paradise.


Even in Paradise is about an unexpected summer, unconventional true love, and fancy beach parties full of dancing and champagne under the stars.

Read this book if...

-You liked The Great Gatsby and stories along those lines.

-You like summer love stories that aren't cut and dry exactly like you would expect.

See it on Goodreads.

Paper Towns. 

Paper Towns is one of the best books I've read in a long time. The characters are hilarious, and it manages to be entertaining and light-hearted while at the same time covering the deep issues of figuring out who you are and what you want.

Read this book if...

-You like John Green. Really, that's the only reason you need.

-You plan on seeing the movie this summer.

-You like unique adventures.

See it on Goodreads.

We Were Liars.

It's so hard to talk about this book without spoiling things, but I will say it's a summer read that will keep you on your toes. You'll either love it or hate it, but I say it's worth a read either way.

Read this book if...

-You like mysteries that aren't just about figuring out who the murderer is.

-You like YA novels with sophisticated prose.

See it on Goodreads.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. 
Sometimes you need to switch up your light-hearted summer reading and read something that really makes you think and ask yourself a lot of questions. This book will do that. 

Ps: This book has nothing to do with summer, except that the first time I read it was on a cruise in the middle of the ocean. So it makes me think of summer, even though the setting is in fall and winter. 

Read this book if...

-You like coming-of-age stories.

-You saw the movie. The movie was great, but the book is incredible.

-You're in the mood for a summer read that isn't just light and fun.

See it on Goodreads.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Series. 
I'm a sucker for reading books that make me nostalgic during the summer. This one will do that for sure. The older I get, the more I appreciate true friendships, and that's what this book is all about. 

Read theses books if...

-You like books that focus on the ins-and-outs of friendship

-You have a little bit of wanderlust.

See the first one on Goodreads.

The Truth About Forever. See also: Every Sarah Dessen book, ever.
Sarah Dessen is my favorite author, and her books are the BEST for summer reading. If you want to get real wild and crazy, I say you should try and read all of her books this summer. They're that good.

Read this book if...

-You like flawed characters you can relate to.

-You want a book that you will miss the second you finish it.

-You want to get lost in a summer that isn't all about happiness and having fun.

See it on Goodreads.

Happy to be Alive, Because.

Read this book if...

-You like to read my blog.

-You like summer stories set at the beach.

-You think sometimes the best love stories are those that have to do with friendship.

Learn more here.

Summer reading is my favorite, so I'm sure I'll have several more posts like this. Cheers to days by the pool losing yourself in a good story!

What's on your summer reading list? 

23 comments:

  1. You always have great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Sarah Desser. I will check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I am in a Sarah Dessen BINGE, because I just discovered her books! I currently have five of her books checked out from the library. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding all to my Goodreads want to read list right now! Thanks for such stellar recommendations. I just finished Paper Towns and I LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my god. I read we were liars on the train + it DEFINITELY got me. SO well written. also, I have always loved Sarah Dessen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paper Towns in on my list to read soon! Hope it is great !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sarah Dessen! This is such a great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Truth About Forever is my favorite book! I'm on her newest book right now, and then I'll have to read some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your book, hoping for a new one soon?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, I think I would looove Even in Paradise and We Were Liars! I've already read Paper Towns and Perks; love love love! I'm hoping this summer I'll be able to get my hands on "The Girl on the Train" and "All The Light We Cannot See;" super trendy reads for the moment but if everyone's reading them they must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paper Towns and Perks of Being a Wallflower are on my list to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Even in Paradise (thanks to your reccomendation) and The Perks of Being a Wallflower was one of my favorites in junior high. Happy to be Alive Because was so great, you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this list! I just finished Paper Towns and LOVE Perks of Being a Wallflower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is my all time favorite Sarah Dessen book. I own them all and love her SO much, but that one has always had a special place in my heart. I'm excited to read her new book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great list! Paper Towns is on my list to read. We Are Liars sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I both loved and hated We Were Liars. I've had Sarah Dessen books on my list forever but haven't actually ever read one. I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw the first book on your list on the New YA shelf at the library today, and I thought it looked good! I also really like a lot of the other books you listed here, so I guess I should check out the other ones soon. Including yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great suggestions! I can honestly never pick a book to read, and as a result I haven't read a book in a while. We Are Liars sound awesome, I'll have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am on the list for Paper Towns and my mom just bought me the ENTIRE Traveling Pants series at the thrift store for 5 dollars! I can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay.. I'm adding these to my list now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The 5th book in Karyn Folan's Doomsday Kids series is coming out this summer and they are absolute must reads in YA fiction. A fascinating and diverse group of kids thrown together in a survival adventure after a nuclear holocaust.
    The author explores each character in great depth with exciting plot twists and some really emotionally powerful themes. I'm a big fan of this series and really can't recommend it highly enough.

    http://thedoomsdaykids.com/wp/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this list! I've actually been thinking about reading all of Sarah Dessen's novels this summer. The first book sounds like something I'd love and I have your book on my to-read-soon list. :) I loved We Were Liars, although one part of it broke my heart. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.