Image Map

Monday, April 25, 2016

Books I Read in April (And Whether or Not You Should Read Them).


The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

Plot: "One night, Mia Dennett enters a bar to meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend. But when he doesn't show, she unwisely leaves with an enigmatic stranger. At first Colin Thatcher seems like a safe one-night stand. But following Colin home will turn out to be the worst mistake of Mia's life. 

When Colin decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota instead of delivering her to his employers, Mia's mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman will stop at nothing to find them. But no one could have predicted the emotional entanglements that eventually cause this family's world to shatter. 

An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller, The Good Girl is a propulsive debut that reveals how even in the perfect family, nothing is as it seems." -via Goodreads


Favorite quote: I didn't copy any down. 

My thoughts: This one took me a very long time to finish. Actually, that's not completely true. It took me a very long time to finish the first half. After that, I was intrigued and wanted to know what happened. So obviously, I found the first half a little bit slow. It's written in before/after split perspectives, which was interesting towards the end, but it took me a little while to feel invested. That being said, once I got towards the middle of the book, I couldn't put it down. And I really was shocked by the ending, which I love. 

Should you read it? Maybe. It reminded me of The Girl on the Train. I didn't love it, but it did reel me in and managed to surprise me a bit. If you liked The Girl on the Train or books like that, I think you'll like this one. 

Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes

Plot: "The mega-talented creator of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal chronicles how saying YES for one year changed her life―and how it can change yours, too. With three hit shows on television and three children at home, the uber-talented Shonda Rhimes had lots of good reasons to say NO when an unexpected invitation arrived. Hollywood party? No. Speaking engagement? No. Media appearances? No.

And there was the side-benefit of saying No for an introvert like Shonda: nothing new to fear.

Then Shonda’s sister laid down a challenge: just for one year, try to say YES to the unexpected invitations that come your way. Shonda reluctantly agreed―and the result was nothing short of transformative. In 
Year of Yes, Shonda Rhimes chronicles the powerful impact saying yes had on every aspect of her life―and how we can all change our lives with one little word. Yes." -via Goodreads


Favorite quote(s): "My brain turns toward fiction like a flower toward the sun, like writing with my right hand...spinning tall tales... knitting yarns made of stories is my dirty little vice, and I like it. But it's not just a bad habit. I need to do it, I have to do it."

"My point is that it can be scary to graduate. That you can lie on the hardwood floor of your dorm room and cry while your mom packs up your stuff. That you can have an impossible dream to be Toni Morrison that you have to let go of. That every day you can feel like you might be failing at work or at your home life. That the real world is hard.

And yet, you can still wake up every single morning and go, "I have three amazing kids and I have created work I am proud of, and I absolutely love my life and I would not trade it for anyone else's life ever.."

You can still wake up one day and find yourself living a life you never even imagined dreaming of.

My dreams did not come true. But I worked really hard. And I ended up building an empire out of my imagination. So my dreams? Can suck it."

My Thoughts: I got this book because this woman is a writer who pretty much owns television right now. I wanted a look behind the scenes, to hear stories about my favorite shows. I assumed it was just going to be a very interesting autobiography. And it was-but there was so much in there I wasn't expecting! She talks a lot about creative process, about failure and fears, and even surprising things such as being a good mom. It left me feeling inspired and motivated and like all my dreams could come true.

Should you read it? Yes!

Bossypants by Tina Fey 

Plot: "Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV. She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon—from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence. Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy." -via Goodreads


Favorite quote: Way too many to list. I started keeping track of them, until I realized there was at least one on almost every page. She hilariously recaps her thoughts on Kim Kardashian and the expectation of women's bodies, what she prays for her daughter,  stories from high school and college. One of the more serious quotes from the book: 

"So, my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism, or ageism, or lookism, or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: “Is this person in between me and what I want to do?” If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you’re in charge, don’t hire the people who were jerky to you."

My thoughts: Tina Fey for President. Really. This book is a hilarious look at her life and successes, but it also covers some serious issues. Any book that can make me laugh out loud while also bringing up real-life issues is a winner.

Should you read it? If you know who Tina Fey is, then yes. If you don't, first reexamine your life, then read this book. Priorities, you know.

What are you reading this month?
 photo signature.png

25 comments:

  1. I read "Year Of Yes" recently. I don't really watch Shonda's shows (love her characters, hate her storylines), but it's hard not to be inspired and I was really impressed with the whole book. I think it's pretty much a perfect book for you right before your move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Year of Yes is on my library hold list right now-- I keep hearing good things about it even though I don't think I've watched any of her shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great book recommendations this month. I have heard so many wonderful things about "The Year of Yes", I want to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read bossypants...need to get on that! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read Bossypants and loved it! I have "The Year of Yes" next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to get Year of Yes at the library over the weekend and the last copy had just been checked out, I was already excited to read it but now I seriously cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes! That was a great book and definitely one I'd recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your reviews sound SO GOOD. I've read Bossypants and I love love love Tina. She's my idol. I want her drive and her attitude and her humor. She's amazing. Her outlook is fantastic! I need to add your other two books to my "want to read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these books sound worth reading! I can't wait until things slow down and I can start finding some time to read again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely want to read Year of Yes. I've been looking for more motivational books, so I'll have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Year of Yes too! It's definitely inspired me to say yes to a few things I've always thought about pursuing but been a little afraid to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read Year of Yes! I've heard so many amazing things about it from tons of people, plus it's Shonda Rhimes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Year of Yes. One of the best books I've ever read. It is so very inspirational. And bossy pants is excellent as well!
    I'm in the middle of reading "as hot as it was you ought to thank me" so far, meh. but I'm trying to get to the real plot before I completely give up on it. Notorious RBG should be arriving on my doorstep today and I am SO EXCITED!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to read Year of Yes soon! I really need some of that motivation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really want to read Year of Yes! It'll be first up after I get through the pile already sitting on my bookshelf :) I had mixed feelings on The Good Girl too. It took too long for something big to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The new design is AWESOME! (I'm probably so late to the game. But I do love it.) Also, thank youuuu for posting book suggestions/honest reviews. Being an English major (a.k.a. forced to binge-read to keep up in my classes) made me hate reading.....until now, when I suddenly have so much time to read while nursing!!! Anyway, keep up the book posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahhh I so want to read the year of yes. I have GOT to finish this damn Outlander series before I can do anything else though.. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always feel like I read more once the weather's warmer and you can just sit outside and enjoy - definitely need to check some of these out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been dying to read Bossypants! Definitely downloading that book next! I read so much during the summer, it's so nice being outside! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am now adding year of yes to my book list, sounds like something that would really benefit me! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Totally grabbing The Year of Yes! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have The Good Girl on my kindle but haven't read it yet. In contrast, I hated bossypants (insert hands over eyes monkey emoji).

    ReplyDelete
  22. i loved the year of yes and totally agree with everything you said. i loved that it was more than i expected. i had heard of tina fey when i first read bossypants, but only from mean girls. i know, i know, crazy. but i ended up listening to it and LOVING it so hard that i then binge watched all of 30 rock and everything she's ever done and basically became a fan for life. she would totally win the president thing if she like.. er, ran? is that what you say? anyway. the good girl is on my list but eh.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I listened to The Good Girl as an audio book and I would completely agree! The first half was ehhh then I really wanted to know how it ended! I don't know what's wrong with me that I haven't read Bossypants yet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love love love Tina Fey and adored Bossy Pants.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm totally checking out The Good Girl! I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.