Image Map

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

What's Match Day Really Like?

I have a love/hate relationship with Match Day. The parts of it leading up to the day...the pressure and  anxiety and how everything is kept in the dark and the complete lack of answers...I hate that part. A lot. But the actual Match Day? I loved it. Best day ever. And I think I would have felt that way even if the envelope hadn't said what I wanted it to say.

We woke up that day at the crack of dawn...because really, who can sleep when they're about to find out their future?! We were excited and jittery and anxious, but (speaking for myself) waaaay less nervous that I was expecting. I think it was just that feeling of...it's here. 



We got ready and then started the day at some of our close friends' house, where we toasted the day we've been talking about forever. It's been really cool to have friends that are going through the exact same journey you are, but on this day-where we were all about to find out what was going to happen to our futures-it was especially sweet.



After a mimosa or two it was time to head to the school, and when we got in the car is when I finally started feeling a little anxious. So we did what any two rational adults would do...I turned on my favorite rap music entirely too loud and we danced it out.

We got to the school, which was all decked out for Match Day. All the pictures I have of us from the first few minutes we were there look like this:



Nerves, nerves, nerves. But after walking around for a minute, seeing our friends and family, and just seeing the whole atmosphere, we loosened up and starting having some fun.

There were over 100 students there to find out their fate, and their friends and families were there, and it was just such a cool experience. The energy was so high, everyone was excited, and it was an amazing thing to get to share with our families.



The whole ceremony took place in an outdoor courtyard. They had everyone's name on a star, all in a circle around the yard. After hellos and nervous chatter and mingling, it was time for everyone to grab their little black boxes and go find their stars.




You got to request who to stand by, so we were between our two best friends from med-school. It was so sweet to get to experience this moment with them, and since I had to stand behind Chris (you know, since I'm not actually in med-school myself, so I didn't get a star), it was perfect to get to stand with another student's partner, someone who has walked through the same thing I had and who was just as nervous as me. You can explain this process to whoever will listen, but there's nothing like having someone who knows what it's like first-hand.



Once everyone got in the giant circle is when I started crying (for the first time that day, so hey, I call that a win.) It was just such an amazing moment that was so many years in the making. There were a few speeches, one in particular that referenced the first day of school four years ago where they all received their white coats. I remember sitting in that ceremony and thinking how Match Day didn't even seem real, it was so far away. It was emotional to think of all that's happened since then.

Then, the countdown. Everyone across the country opens their envelopes at the exact same time. So the whole courtyard counted down from 10, and in a moment that I'll never, ever forget as long as I live, Chris opened his box and pulled out a golden envelope.



A little side note here: The match letters did not have the names of the cities, they had the names of the hospitals. I did not memorize the names of the hospitals, so for a solid ten seconds I was so confused. 

Seeing those words, "Congratulations-you matched!" while standing outside with 100 other people finding out the same thing was an incredible moment.

We spent the rest of the day laughing and crying and celebrating and sharing our good news.





It was a day I will never, ever forget. A once-in-a-lifetime experience that I'm so glad we got to have together, with baby Jack right there with us.

And now...I'm so glad it's over. Onto the next adventure!

32 comments:

  1. This whole experience, while stressful, sounds incredibly awesome. I love that you got to stand by a star, with your friends, everyone opens it at the same time...it all sounds like a movie. I love you recapping all of this- Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you don't have to volunteer as tribute! This is so cool!! I've never heard of something match day! It's like right out of a novel! I'm so happy your happy on your match!! =P

    Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that everyone in the country opened their envelopes at the same time! I must admit, the thought of that got me a little choked up! How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a once-in-a-lifetime feeling. So few people will ever know how it feels to open an envelope that contains their future! I can't imagine all the emotions and thoughts running through your head that day! How absolutely incredible!! I love that you have photos of every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful experience! I know the parts leading up to it definitely were stressful and not fun... but it looks like it was worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt so emotional reading this! I'm so glad everything worked out just as you wanted x

    Sophie Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, how exciting! I didn't know what Match Day was like. Congratulations to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this so much! All your pictures really capture the day, and I honestly didn't know what a huge deal 'match day' was prior to reading your blog!! So awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's crazy how similar your matching experience has been to my life as a baseball fiancé! We found out last week where my fiancé will be playing for the year and it was such a relief to finally just know! And i completely agree with you about having other women next to you who know the details of going through the experience themselves. the fellow baseball wives and girlfriends i've made friends with "get it" so much more than some of my friends back home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so awesome! I love how they have the build-up and anticipation (I'm sure it was so stressful though) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an exciting day!!!! Congrats to your man!! Love these pics!!

    PS lots of mom hacks on my blog today... thought you might want to check it out! Your babe is too cute!!
    Xox Dana Ivy // www.iadorewhatilove.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an incredible and rewarding experience (minus the no answers part for so long), but the day itself sounds amazing! Your awesome outfit, mimosas, and finding out that you'll still be in Florida = best day ever :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't even imagine the anticipation! Thank you for taking us all on this journey with you! So glad it all worked out and that you were able to savor every moment of it- with Jack in tow! you guys are such an incredible couple!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I could never imagine having no idea where we were going to end up. You are a lot stronger than I am! But enjoy your new chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that they had a star with his name on it and a pretty box! How fun you got to pick the people next to you-we were divided by specialty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got chills reading this! What a special and perfect day- so happy for yall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like such a cool experience! Although, I probably couldn't deal with all of the uncertainty leading pu to that moment. So happy for you guys!

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  19. That seems like such an emotional yet special experience that you'll always remember. Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great experience and you guys get to be Gators now! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seriously just so very excited for you! I can only imagine the bundle of nerves - I just love that you blasted your favorite song - perfect way to relax for a minute. What a special, special, day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I can't even imagine the stress. I'm happy to hear that you got the city you wanted though! Both of your hard work is paying off. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Only one or two mimosas beforehand?! I would have been drowning in a few more with all the nerves ;)

    What an exciting day!!!! I can't even begin the imagine all the feelings/emotions that were going on (and probably still are a little)!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had no clue that's how match day worked! That is a seriously cool experience!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am so glad you shared this - i had no idea how it all worked! that's pretty awesome that everyone across the country opens them at the same exact time - talk about synergy! so happy for you all and go you for only crying once - i was getting anxious just thinking about being in your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That sounds so awesome but also SO nervewracking!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I never knew things worked like this, and it sounds kind of cool and awesome! But also terrifying. So after med school, every doctor around the country does this?
    Also, I just HAVE to say it... you look beyond gorgeous! Did you REALLY just have a baby? lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm 100% obsessed with your blog, your pictures, your writing style, and your life. BUT! I wish you had a section highlighting your best/most popular posts orrrr a calendar or something so I can click around and read to my little heart's content! Cuz everything else is flawless!

    xoxo,
    Danielle
    www.afloatonafullsea.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whew this would make me so nervous haha but I can imagine how much fun it was finding out where you were matched!

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is so cool - i had no idea it worked like this and i love that everyone opened their envelopes at the same time and hilarious that you were confused for like 10 seconds. so, what happens to people who aren't matched? i remember seeing on someone else's blog that not everyone matches, but i didn't know if it was talking about the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is the coolest thing EVER! I love everything about it. Were your friends as excited as you?

    ReplyDelete
  32. This sounds like an amazing day! Thanks for bringing us along vicariously. :)

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.