Image Map

Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Optimism of a New Start.


I think that deep down, we're all suckers for fresh starts. There's a reason we throw ourselves into creating resolutions and goals when the calendar turns over at the new year. There's a reason why we get the itch to move to a new city after going through a bad breakup. Why we think that if we abandon that half-full journal and buy a new, blank notebook then our journaling habit will finally stick this time. 

Moving here has felt like the ultimate fresh start. It was an ending chapter to so many things, and a completely new beginning. A new city, a new house, a new phase of life. I remember talking to my best friend and telling her, No one knows me here. No one has any expectations of me. I can be anything I want to be, and that is exhilarating. 

That fresh start has made me view things with such renewed optimism. I'll be able to make friends who have never known me before I was a mom. I can introduce myself as a blogger and not feel weird about it. I can wear an outfit that's outside of my comfort zone and not worry about someone thinking that I don't look like myself. There are no unspoken standards to adhere to and no expectations I feel pressured to meet.

It has truly been wonderful to feel that way. It's also been a scary and uncomfortable amount of new, but it's been so, so good. 

It makes me think...if I hadn't left Orlando, would I ever have let myself feel this way? I don't know, and that's a little sad. 

So wherever you are, whatever phase of life you're in...give yourself the gift of a new start. Big or little. Public or private. Just start fresh. 


You don't have to go out every weekend just because that's just what you've always done. If you aren't super into it anymore, don't go. Suggest something else instead. 

You don't have to refrain from speaking up just because everyone knows you as the quiet one. 

You don't have to be embarrassed of your new hobby.

You don't have to adhere to the characteristics of the person you were five years ago, or last year, or last month. 

You can be whoever you want to be, say whatever you want to say, wear whatever you want to wear. Because YOU are in charge of if you get a fresh start or not. 

And a random Thursday in August seems like a pretty good time to start over to me, wouldn't you say?

 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.