Image Map

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What June Taught Me.


Make your own freaking sunshine. I wish I meant this literally, because it's still raining every single day here, but alas, I mean it figuratively. Sometimes, if you're having a bad day/week/month you can just wait on circumstances to change, or you can count on someone else to make you happy. And sometimes, you can make your own freaking happiness. 

Having a bad day? Watch your favorite movie. Go swimming. Deep clean your house, if that's what relaxes you (and then come over here because I want some of that). Ignore the dishes piling up and go out with a friend. This month taught me that sometimes, I'm the only thing that I can control in a situation. So if I'm having a bad week and I don't do anything about it, well, I can really only blame myself. 

Your people are so important. Take care of them. Friendships are so precious, and true friendships are really rare. So take care of them. Check in on your people. Have FaceTime dates. Go out for dinner, or invite them over. When you're overwhelmed, sometimes friendships can be the first thing to go because it feels like so much effort when you feel like you're just barely surviving yourself. 1) It's worth it, and 2) It doesn't have to be so much effort. Sure, it's fun to go out for shopping and coffee and happy hour. But real friendship also sometimes looks like sending a text and saying, I'm not cleaning my house for you, but I'm gonna eat dinner and watch this movie if you wanna join me. 

Friendships look different in each season of life, but you can always take care of them. 

you need these sunglasses. they're $11 and seem way nicer than they are! 

It's the little things. If you didn't see my Instagram story, I'll give you an abbreviated version: I tried to go to church on Sunday and put Jack in the nursery, and it did not go well. At all. On the way home, I really wanted a cold brew coffee. So I drove the opposite direction from my house, navigated the worst parking lot ever, sat in a forever long drive-thru, and got cold brew coffee. And it was absolutely worth it. $3 and some horrid traffic later, and my mood was better. I may not get to go to church, but I can treat myself with iced coffee and go to the pool. Sometimes the big things get decided for you, so take advantage of the little things and make yourself happy. 

What did this month teach you?
 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.