Image Map

Monday, January 29, 2018

What January Taught Me.


First things first, Jack got a haircut. He has a little baby fade and is now 15 years old. It's fine, I'm fine. 

January felt like a very long month. It seems like it's been ages since I rang in a new year on the beach, and I'm counting that as a blessing. Because what a gift a new year is, and part one of 2018 has been full and slow. I've gotten a lot out of it. A few things this month has taught me: 

Music is so powerful when it comes to your mood. Of course, I already knew this. But this month I've been making a point to listen to more songs that make me happy, and it's amazing to me how fast that can instantly put me in a good mood. What are your favorite feel-good jams? Send 'em my way.

Stop feeding people who only take a plate to go. I saw this quote, of all places, on a funny meme account. But how good?! 

Now, don't read this as "only be nice to people who are nice to you" or, "all relationships need to be 50/50" because I do believe in being kind to everyone and in often pouring good into people just because you can. I'm talking about those close to you, your inner circle, the people you choose to really let into your life. 

At some point, you have to realize that you are precious. Your friendship is a gift. And if you're exhausted from givinggivinggiving to people who just take plates to go, it may be time to take a step back from feeding them. 


While some things will always be out of my control, lots of things will always be in my control. I fell down the comparison rabbit hole a few times this month (Which is normally something I'm so good about!) and got into that gross place of feeling bummed about where I'm at/how I look/what I'm doing/blahblahblah compared to other people. I had a come to Jesus meeting with myself last night, and no matter what's going on (or not going on) in your life, it's pretty freaking empowering to think about how much is in your control. 

I'm in control of if I eat healthy and workout, which means I am largely in control of how I feel. I'm in control of how I spend my free time. I'm in control of who I spend that time with. So while a lot of things are up to things outside of my control, there's a heck of a lot I get to decide. And I think that's worth re-remembering every now and then. 

What did this month teach you?

 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

say whatcha need to say.