Image Map

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Book Questions: P A R T T W O.

Good morning! My book comes out in F I V E  DAYS.  There are no words to adequately describe the way I am currently feeling.  If you follow me on instagram, then you saw that my book is on Barnes and Noble's website.  Then, this morning, I checked my phone and saw this:


That's my book on iBooks.  

No. Words.  

Here are the rest of your questions!  Thank you so much for actually caring enough to ask questions like this!

Where did you start and what inspires you to write?
I started with the very last page.  No idea why, that's just how it happened.  And as for what inspires me, is it too cheesy to say everything?  I'm gonna go with everything.  However, if I'm feeling out of inspiration to write, reading a good book always inspires me.

How did you choose a designer and ultimately settle on the cover?
Tekeme Studios is the company that my publisher works with, so that's how the designer was chosen.  as far as the cover, I spent a lot of time in the library and in bookstores browsing the YA section.  I wanted a cover that fit my story, and that would fit in if I placed it on a shelf next to popular YA novels.

Side note:  I thought for sure the cover was going to have to be revised several times, but he got exactly what I wanted the very first time.

What led you down the path to your publisher?
I got this book and researched every single publisher, which led to discovering other companies.  I started sending out queries in June of 2013 and heard from my Publisher in January of 2014.  The first time I talked on the phone with her, she talked to me for 45 minutes and answered all of my questions. It felt very very personal, which I hadn't yet felt when it come to a publisher/agent.  I could tell she was invested in my story and would also be personally invested in me.  I prayed about it a lot and at the end of the day, trusted my gut and jumped on board.

I truly cannot say enough good things about my experience with Nyree.  If you're interested in exploring the world of indie authors, do yourself a favor and check them out.

What's the hardest part about trying to get published?
The fact that once you submit your work, everything is out of your control.  You can't control when someone checks their email, if they'll ever actually read your query, or if they'll even respond to you after reading your query.

Who do you look up to as a writer?
Chances are, if you are a writer, I look up to you.  But as far as specific writers go, I really look up to Rachel Hauk because she mentors lots of writers, even unpublished writers, and I think that's amazing.  I look up to John Grisham because he hasn't changed the way he writes or the content he writes, regardless of how famous he's become.  I look up to Sarah Dessen immensely because she is a wife and mom in a small town, and is simultaneously the greatest YA author there ever was.  She tweeted something the other day along the lines of "Red carpet in LA last night, movie night on the couch with hubby tonight.  Equally as special."  And I just think that's amazing.

What are five books that have changed your life?
The Christy Miller Series.  Dreamland.  The Book Thief.  Avalon High.  Talk before Sleep.  I wouldn't necessarily classify these as my favorite books, but more so the fact that I read them during significant times in my life or they changed the way I write.  Ask me again in a few weeks and I may give you a completely different list.

Is your book based on a true story?
No.  But there are a lot of true-story details hidden in there, as far as names and places and even events. It's like a little hidden hello for people who know me.

What has been the most nerve-wracking part of the entire process?
Hands down, last Monday night.  I had to approve the final PDF to print, and talk about pressure.  I read it until I felt like my eyes may actually be on fire.  It was nerve-wracking for two reasons.  One, because I hope I didn't miss any errors, but I'm human, so we'll see.  And two, because this is a story I've been working on for close to four years.  These characters are people I have thought of every day.  I've had new ideas, changed details, added backstory, over and over for four years.  It was crazy knowing that when I approved the final PDF, that time was over.  I could never add another detail to my characters.  That's such a weird feeling.

Where should I start?
Just start writing!  Go to Barnes and Noble and browse the novel-writing section.  Get a book that inspires you, I recommend this one!  And then just start writing.  And then keep writing.  And then finish writing, even when you don't want to.

Is anyone else an aspiring author?  What inspires you to write?

g o  s h o p p i n g:

24 comments:

  1. It's very interesting you started with the last page first, I also love that you incorporated some real events and people. It's like where's waldo for your friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!!! so excited for you! I have a friend who is interested in starting a novel, definitely going to pass all the links you recommend to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an aspiring author of fiction, and everything around me inspires me to write. I draw from happiness, sadness and life in general...the best inspiration there is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me think that it's like hearing your song on the radio for the first time. I love hearing about your process! So exciting. Writing the book is only part of the process. I love that you share your path!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you girl! I had no idea writing and publishing a book was so much work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! You didn't plan it but I really think the ending is a great place to start. I started writing at the beginning and was stumped about the ending. I still am!! It really helps direct the writing when you know how you want it to end up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's amazing that the cover was right the first time. That rarely happens! And I think starting at the end is smart, I have a hard time coming up with a good ending and so have never finished a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so fricking exciting that your book is on iBooks. I can't wait to get mine in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is seriously SO exciting. I love writing too (as I'm sure lots of bloggers do haha) and would love to write a book someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting, I can't wait to read your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SO exciting. I am in awe of you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just pre-ordered your book! Cannot wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. That sounds like a great agent and one many writers are looking for! I can't imagine approving that book PDF of your own work. I helped publish a design book years ago and while my name was in it, not all of it was resting on my shoulders so I wasn't nervous like I would have been if it were "my" book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again, love this insight into the writing and publishing process;) Also, The Book Thief is life changing, no? I felt the writing was so good it was almost like poetry, I had to keep stopping and think every couple of sentences or so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really amazing, your book sounds fantastic, can't wait to read it. What an accomplishment I hope you celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cover looks great! Super exciting to see it in print finally! I always used to love getting hold the books I'd edited. I didn't write them obviously, but I felt really invested in the process, and I loved seeing them come to life with a cover and layout and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad to read these Q&A's! Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions :) you really inspire me to move forth with a book of my own. I am an aspiring writer, but the idea of a whole novel is so intimidating to me. But it's a huge goal of mine to be able to do it, and hopefully eventually publish it like you have been able to do!! I'm always super inspired by other new, young writers, because it reminds me that it is always possible, and I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. People inspire me to write. This is both envy-worthy yet inspiring. ;) Congrats chica, you deserve a big pat on the back for this accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVED the Christy Miller series when I was a teen! They actually inspired ME to write! I actually started writing a series of books back then. They were all saved to a floppy disk which ended up being unreadable a few years later. So none of my work was saved. Not that I ever would have published it, but I did love to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved reading part one and two of your book questions! I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. How exciting! And to see it on an iBook menu....that just gave me chills. So happy for you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.