Image Map

Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Mad Ones.



“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”  -Jack Kerouac

I adore Jack Kerouac, and this is probably one of my favorite paragraphs he wrote.  It makes me think of the kind of people I want in my life, of course, but it also makes me think of the kind of person I want to be.  A mad one, desirous of everything, adventuring, dreaming, burning, burning, burning.

This morning, I was on the way to work when Chris called to tell me his tire blew out and he was stranded.

Today, being a dreamer, a mad one, looked like calling into work, turning around, and sitting on the side of the road with the love of my life until we figured out the car situation.  Which, trust me, was an adventure in and of itself.

So what about days like that?  Because that's life, right?  Balancing the mundane with the wishful and hoping to end up with something somewhat whimsical that you are proud to call your life.  Because life isn't always only risks and chasing things.  And that's okay.

I have a lot of dreams I want to pursue.  I have a lot of adventures I want to go on.  I have a lot of goals I hope to accomplish.  Most of all, I want to live life passionately and love it with all that I possibly can.

And I would venture to say that those things can be just as present on a Thursday morning with a flat tire as they can be on the day when a dream is realized or a goal accomplished.

Because if you're a dreamer who loves life, every day is good.  There is no such thing as boring.  Even the boring parts of life beckon you to adventure, and if you accept, they cease to be boring.

What do you think?  Can everyday life be just as good as the burning, mad, wonderful parts of life?


w h i l e   y o u ' r e   h e r e :

14 comments:

  1. I love this with my whole heart, especially "Because if you're a dreamer who loves life, every day is good. There is no such thing as boring. Even the boring parts of life beckon you to adventure, and if you accept, they cease to be boring." This spoke to me in more ways than one. You're an incredible writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a dreamer too, but I find solace being around non-dreamers. Sometimes it's just nice to have that balance.

    -Jackie
    http://ournashvillelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think you definitely need regular days, down time in which all those crazy mad dreams can percolate and build. The dreaming is essential. And once you've got a nice long list of adventures to go on, go and do them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge Kerouac fan, and I love this quote.

    I don't think daily life for most people can be like that, but I think it's a lovely thing to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think there is a greatness about the everyday, you just have to want to look for it and find it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so awesome, and i wish i could make it the way i think every day. i am a dreamer for sure, and every day is fine, but i then there are the awesome wonderful days. its a nice thought though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard question. Some of my favorite moments looking back are some everyday cuddling moments or sweet things the girls said or did so maybe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so with you! Always looking for an adventure in everything and living to the fullest. Hope things are all well with the car :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely paragraph! These past week as I prepare for the baby to arrive, I've begged for the mundane! :) That's new for me and I welcome it! I know that the simplest things in my near future are going to prove quite spectacular. Soon though, I will be back to craving the adventures as before. I'll just have someone new to bring with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Balancing the mundane with the wishful and hoping to end up with something somewhat whimsical that you are proud to call your life." - a gorgeous reminder to focus on the things that matter the most and find the joy in the small (seemingly unimportant or frustrating) moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great quote and great post. i'm trying to make everyday count too and live each day to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh toootally! i say if you can't enjoy the average everyday parts of life to the fullest, there's no way you're enjoying the best parts to the fullest either! personally, i love the normal regular days the most, savoring all the smallest of your favorite things :)

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.