Image Map

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Setting Goals for 2015: 6 Questions to Ask Yourself First.


Setting new goals at the beginning of a new year is one of my favorite things. It can be really intimidating, but it can also be incredibly inspiring and motivational. 

If setting goals for your year scares you, or if you just don't know where to start because, hello, you want to change everything, then these questions are an easy starting point.


1. What is one thing in my control that I want to be different next year?

There are probably a lot of things you'd like to be different next year, but all of them are most likely not things you can control. Focus on the things that are in your control, and pick your top one of those.

My answer: I'm still working on this answer...it's a tough one!


2. What is one thing I want to learn in the next 365 days?

This could be a skill, a virtue, a language, a hobby...anything that you want to be able to point to next New Year's Eve and say, "Hey, I learned that this year."

My answer: I really want to learn how to use the sewing machine that I got for my birthday last year. I also want to learn how to crochet for real. I realize this is two answers, but I feel like they kind of go together.


3. If there were three things I could magically change about my life, what would they be?

If you woke up tomorrow and there was a magic wand on your pillow that you could point at three things to change, what would you use it on? Your answer probably points in the same direction that your goals for this year should.

My answer: 

1. My house would always be clean.

2. I would be in amazing shape.

3. I would have a best-selling book out.

But really...who can I talk to about this magic wand thing?


4. What's one way I want to be different by this time next year?

If you're anything like me, you're going to have a hard time picking just one answer to this. But it's better to change one thing than no things, and trying to change a bunch at one time is a great way to set yourself up for failure.

My answer: I want to say yes more. It's something I've been working on, but I really want to focus on it this year.

I'm a worrier and a list maker, so sometimes when an opportunity arises, I mentally list the pros and cons and start to worry about all the things that could happen if I take it. I fret over how much sleep I may lose or how much it's going to cost or if I'm going to regret it, when really, if I would have just said yes, it would have been a much smaller ordeal.

I want to say yes to more because I want to experience more, I want to go more places, I want to learn more things, and I want to become the best version of myself. And I don't think you discover the best version of yourself by saying no to everything that comes your way.


5. What is one thing I will regret if I don't do this year?

My answer: Enjoy life more.  I want be the kind of person who enjoys life more and doesn't get so caught up on the little stuff. There are going to be things I really just don't enjoy: car troubles and sneaky bills and weeks where my husband has to work nights. But life is short, and it is good, so I want to become the kind of person who doesn't let those things make me enjoy life any less. I think that not choosing to enjoy life this year could definitely lead to regret.


6. What is a characteristic or a word that describes how I want to live this next year of my life?

I picked a word for my year last New Year's, which is something I've never done before, but I loved it. All the decisions I made, all the things I did, I thought of that word. And it really helped me accomplish what I wanted to in 2014. Pick a word that takes what you want out of 2015 and boils it down to it's most simplistic form.

My answer: Alive. 

I want to live every single day of 2015 with every part of me totally and completely alive.

"I hope that you spend your days, but they all add up. And when the sun goes down, I hope you raise your cup...
I hope when the moment comes, you'll say, I did it all, I did it all. I owned every second that this world could give, saw so many places and things that I did, with every broken bone, I swear I lived.

20 comments:

  1. Saying "yes" more is a big one for me this year. I'm like you, I'll analyze and overanalyze even the smallest things until the opportunity has passed me by. I'm trying to practice thinking less and doing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these questions! I was just thinking that it's really hard to nail down what I "want" for 2015. I may have to steal these and answer them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great questions. I am definitely thinking of these but you gave me more to think about too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to look at goals. Very unique and very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic questions! I always get stuck when it comes to making New Years resolutions and setting goals - so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful questions! I love the way you laid out the post, too, with each question as a graphic. Happy almost New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing these. I've jotted them down in my January Notes in my planner and will be thinking about them this week for myself. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! These are great questions to get us thinking about our goals for 2015. I created a small list, but now that I've read these, I think I have plenty more to add!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your word for the year. This will be my first year choosing a word and I think it's going to be very helpful for me to have something to focus all my decisions around. Saying "yes" more is a huge part of that for me. I always talk myself in to ways to avoid things or no do things even when they are something I want to or should do. 2015 is going to be the year that changes. Happy New Year Lovely Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. loved reading your sentiments on this! happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sometimes struggle with saying yes also. Like you, I analyze it.. How much will it cost me? Will I lose any sleep? haha! Thought I was alone on that. :) I was just thinking about my goals for 2015 today, so this post helped me sort through my thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are really great questions! Thank you so much for sharing :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great questions to ask! I've had some of these on my mind as I come up with my goals for 2015 too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so great questions to ask, and I loved being able to read this because it helped me kind of construct what I want my 2015 to be like. Thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! These are great questions to ask yourself as you're setting goals. Cheers to a great 2015.

    -Claire
    fashionandfeathers.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love this post, I know for me personally I have been struggling with what I want to change in my life. This really helped me a lot, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved reading this! I want to be more alive this year too. I recently posted on my blog a post inspired by your book! It's not a book review but it's my takeaway from the book and how I'm using it to inspire my year. Hope you read it and like it!
    You can read it here:
    http://www.jenna-grace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. great questions to ask yourself. i'm definitely writing up my resolutions tomorrow.. and i can't seem to narrow things down. i do have my word though! looking forward to 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the of picking one word!! Mine is fearless!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.