Image Map

Friday, May 27, 2016

Goodbye, Orlando. Love You Forever.


I remember the first time I "came home" to Orlando. We got back from our honeymoon the first week of January and it was freezing. I had only packed tropical clothes, naturally, and shivered in my neon orange shorts the whole way to out apartment. When we walked in-my first time coming home to this new place-it was just so warm and cozy and immediately felt like home. 

Orlando was my home for three and a half years. It's where I had my first lease and my first legal drink. It's where med school and match day and graduation happened. It's where we got Gatsby. It's where Jack was born. It's where I made friends and lost friends and made some great decisions and made some poor choices and ultimately became someone I was really proud of. It will always hold a giant piece of my heart. A giant piece of me. 

So goodbye for now, Orlando. Goodbye to the apartment that warmed my heart three and a half years ago and goodbye to the tiny apartment in the sky with the view that took my breath away the first time I saw it. Goodbye to the best tacos I've ever had and to my favorite sushi happy hour. Goodbye to Lake Eola and the farmer's market, to the best rooftop pool, to the traffic that makes me crazy. 

I'll miss you. 

I told Chris the other day that I thought we did our time in Orlando just right. We didn't outgrow it so soon that we didn't enjoy our last bit of time in Orlando, but we outgrew it soon enough that I'm not sad to be leaving. How can I be when a perfect home and the next chapter of my life is waiting for me in Gainesville? It's never easy to say goodbye, but having a hello waiting right around the corner makes it a little bit sweeter. 

Thanks for all the good, Orlando. I'll love you forever.  photo signature.png

16 comments:

  1. Moving on is pretty bittersweet sometimes but it sounds like y'all are more than ready for your next big adventure. Good luck with moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is bittersweet for sure, but it sounds like it was perfect timing. I know what it feels like to make memories in an area and feel like you're leaving a chapter of your life there. As sad as it is to say goodbyes, I like change. Keeps life interesting! Safe travels in Gainesville.

    kaitlyn-danielle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving is so full of emotions. We just went through this and I'm still navigating because where we're at is temporary for the time being. Best of luck with everything and to amazing memories and adventures in Gainesville. Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you mentioned the way you outgrew Orlando just right. I think so often people aren't able to leave a place until they hate it, but you're leaving at just the right time. Onto more amazing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a bittersweet time for you guys, but on to new and exciting ventures as a family of 3 (well 4 with Gatsby)! Orlando will miss you, but yay for staying in the sunshine state <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet Orlando is a super cool place to live. You definitely have a TON of neat theme parks ;) I'm glad you have such a positive outlook on moving- it's going to be a great adventure for the four of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Orlando, and you can't beat a rooftop pool. Sounds like you're moving at a perfect time before you're too "over it"...enjoy the new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moving is so hard, any time. I know it's probably bittersweet but i have a feeling only good things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Orlando will stay in your heart forever. I love this and relate so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will never forget your time in Orlando, but you have such exciting things coming your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post!! Christian and I felt that way about our last apartment while in Chicago and it's so much fun to look back on our time there and our favorite places to eat (a few we still miss so much, like PIZZA. Where is the good pizza in TN?!) but it's also like- it was so good there that if we ever went back, it just wouldn't be the same. It was a wonderful chapter but I wouldn't leave where we are now for anything! I'm so excited for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me tear up! It's so sweet and it's exactly how I feel about Oahu. Our four year mark here just happened and a new "home" is just around the corner for us in July!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you tell me about these tacos? I live in Orlando and need more tacos in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading your sentiments about Orlando, because I feel the very same. Orlando will always have a special place in my heart because I too celebrated so many firsts there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a bittersweet move! I hope you have as many happy memories in your next home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So bittersweet to move on, but you have so many good memories ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.