Image Map

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Thankful Project: November 5th.

November 5th: A talent you have. 

Writing. 

I only have two talents that I know of:  I can write and I'm crafty.  Everything else I have to work at, but being creative is my thing.

I've always loved writing.   Growing up I wrote poems and a lot of stories that began with the words, it was a dark and stormy night, which my mom always read out loud at the dinner table.  In college, it took me about two months to realize I should change my major from an education one to a writing one. When I made the switch, the chair of the English department e-mailed me and said. "Welcome home."  I cried when I read that because it felt true.

Writing has always felt like home to me.  I love the outlet it provides, love the feeling of creating something new.  I love the feeling of waking up in the middle of the night with a thought that will spend the next few hours rolling around my brain, turning itself into a story.  I love stringing words together and making them somehow evoke emotion from the page.  There are few things that excite me more than having a cup of coffee, a pen, and a blank notebook.

I had to write a paper once describe why I wanted to be a writer.  It, like this post, was surprisingly hard to explain for someone who claims to love writing so much.  I just found that paper and I think the closing paragraph of it sums up how I feel:

"It's like my soul is dancing.  When I write, I'm free.  Not tied down by anything else, just free.  Something clicks right into the place it was meant to, my soul starts dancing in some other place--with the characters and words I've created, maybe--and I experience moments of true joy, all because I am doing what I was created to do.  If nothing else ever comes of my writing, I will still write, because that feeling of freedom and and rightness and joy is enough for me.  It always will be." 

4 comments:

  1. I love your last paragraph, definitely how I feel about my writing too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Isn't it fun to go back and look at those old papers and stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love writing! I always feel like when I have something important to say, it would be better if I wrote it down. Best way to express myself!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.