Image Map

Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Thankful Project: November 7th


November 7th:  A job.

I feel like it's always a risk to write about your job on your blog, so for today's prompt I'm just going to write some things that my current job has taught me, because I'm thankful for the things I am learning. 

Sometimes it's okay to say no. 

One of the best and worst things about my personality is that I always want anyone I am working for or working with to think I am a great worker with a really great work ethic.  Sometimes this translates into saying yes to every single thing anyone asks me to do.  What I've learned recently (and am still learning) is that if you say yes to everything, then nothing gets done as well as it should.  You've got to know your priorities and focus on those.  

There are going to be stages of life where the work you are doing has nothing to do with where you thought you would be.  Do your best anyway. 

I had this beautiful idea that I was going to graduate college and move to Orlando and land myself an incredible writing job.  Sadly, that has remained a beautiful idea.  My three best friends from college have all landed incredible jobs or gotten into whatever program they wanted, so it's been really easy to be incredibly jealous discouraged when thinking about that, because while my job is wonderful, it's not in the area of work I wanted to be in.  It has been a really good season of learning to be so thankful and reminding myself that no matter what I am doing, I should always do my absolute best.  Whether it's in an area I love or not. 

If you don't plan it, it will not happen.

I currently commute to my job, and am blessed enough to be able to work from home two days a week.  That has taught me so much about planning my day out.  At first, I thought I would be able to wake up with an idea of what needed to get done that day, and it would get done.  I quickly learned how very wrong I was when it would be seven o' clock and I would still be working without having crossed an entire thing off my list, just a bunch of half things.  Plan, plan, plan.  To-do lists are lifesavers. 

Sometimes the best thing you can do is go to bed and try again tomorrow. 

This one is pretty self-explanatory, but I'm still learning it.  There are going to be days where no matter how stressed out you are about how much you need to do, sometimes you just have to call it a day and try to make tomorrow better.  A good night's sleep and a cup of coffee the next morning tend to work wonders. 


3 comments:

  1. I so agree with you! Hang in there, it took me two years post-college to figure out what I wanted to do and working jobs I was so unhappy in. Those experiences led me to go back to school, something I never would have done if I hadn't learned I didn't want some things I thought I had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great lessons, Chelsea! I love especially the lesson you learned about stages; I didn't get the fantastic writing job I'd envisioned either and it's been a hard road learning to be content with the fact that God may have a different plan for me. The work we do is the work He's chosen for us for now and if He's placed us there, I know it's important work for us to be doing, even if it doesn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Chels, thank you so much for stopping at my blog.

    I really hope you get to do your dream work one day :)

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.