Image Map

Monday, March 30, 2015

The Best Books I Read in March.

The Girl on the Train

Plot: A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good? -via Goodreads


Favorite quote:



My thoughts:  I knew nothing about this book going into it, so for the first thirty minutes of reading I was utterly confused. However, that doesn't mean I wasn't instantly hooked. The unique timeline split between three woman made this a thriller that I couldn't put down, no matter how badly I wanted to. Not everyone will be a fan of that style of writing, but I liked it. It's definitely worth the read. 

Should you read it? If you liked Gone Girl and books along those lines, yes. Just be prepared to stick it out for a little bit at first.

Big Little Lies

Plot: Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads:

Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She’s funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline’s youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline’s teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline’s ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?).

Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn’t be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay.

New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.

Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive.
 via Goodreads

Favorite quote:




My thoughts: I read (and really liked) The Husband's Secret, so that's why I read this one. I absolutely loved everything about it. The two timelines kept me guessing right until the very end, but not so much so that I felt confused. Liane Moriarty has such a talent for writing about several characters at a time and managing to make you feel as if you read 3 or 4 different books all at once. I loved it.

Should you read it? Absolutely!

24 comments:

  1. This is really weird! I downloaded just these two books last week and I am now reading Big Little Lies and loving it and I will read The Girl on the Train after I finish this one =).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about the girl on the train, I need to get on the list for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are both on my to read list! thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read Girl on The Train SO bad. I just have to get it. I haven't heard much about big little lies though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Little Lies has been on my list for a while. I need to start reading. I have heard good things about the Girl on the Train and I definitely loved Gone Girl so I will be checking that out. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved the Girl on the train. I still have it in my head and it's been a few weeks. I also have Big little Lies on my kindle but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'll get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of these books seem to have been blowing up in the blogosphere lately. The more reviews I read the more I want to read them both. Looks like a trip to the bookstore is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of these books have been on my to-read list for awhile and you just solidified my need to grab these up!!! I love your reviews, the format is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read girl on the train and didn't LOVE it but I liked it. I want to read big little lies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES to The Girl on the Train! Big Little Lies is on my to-read list and I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read Gone Girl last week (I utterly disliked the beginning but I got hooked in the middle of the story) so I will be sure to read The Girl on the Train for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your book reviews are always so interesting to read. I usually hate reading book reviews but yours are to the point and have really helped me find some great books (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will definitely have to read The Girl on the Train. I've heard so many great reviews about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I juts finished "The Husband's Secret" and was debating reading the next one, now I will! I also just read "The Invention of Wings" for book club, and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm getting ready to start The Girl on the Train and I'm really excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl on the Train is on my list and I recently read Big Little Lies too! I was so surprised by the ending (the bit about Jane)-- I just started What Alice Forgot last night!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Big Little Lies and the husbands secret were good. I need to start The Girl on the Train.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both of these sound really good! I HAVE to make time to read and get off Twitter....haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. adding them to my list of books to read! :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read one Liane Moriarity book but I want to read some more! Adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both of these are on my list. Why is there not extra hours in the day to fit in all my reading?!?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read Girl on a Train and LOVED it, Little Big Lies is on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.