Image Map

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The World Can be so Ugly. The World Can be so Beautiful.


I was watching a movie with Chris last Friday night, and he paused it so he could finish dinner. I picked up my phone and was alarmed by the onslaught of pictures of the Eiffel Tower and the hashtag, #prayforparis. Over the next few hours, I watched as a horrific, heartbreaking story developed.

My heart broke for the people whose lives were torn apart on a seemingly normal Friday night, and when I woke up the next morning, my heart broke for the baby I'm carrying inside of me. I sat on the couch watching the sun come up, and wondered why I thought that bringing a baby into this world--a world clearly so awful and evil--was okay.

It sounds dramatic, I know. But the thought of my baby having to grow up in a world where things like this honestly aren't shocking just really rocked me to my core. Because when he comes out in a few weeks, I won't be able to protect him from evil like this. I won't be able to shield him from the fact that there are awful people in the world, and that sometimes the world can be a terrible place.

But as I sat there, snuggling Gatsby and waiting on Chris to wake up so we could spend the day at Universal, I thought about how Jack being born into this world also meant that he would get to one day experience sunrises and lazy Saturdays.

He'll get to experience the wonder of waking up to presents left by Santa. He'll get to learn to read books. He'll get to play in the mud with his grandpa and read books with his grandma. He'll have my best friend as his cool uncle to bail him out of trouble every now and then. He'll get to go to school and make friends. He'll get to come home to parents who love him.

He'll get to experience the thrill of the first time he asks a girl on a date. He'll get to fall in love, and go on a journey to meeting someone he wants to spend his whole life with. He'll get to discover his passions.

He'll get to discover how good chocolate tastes. He'll make memories on his summer breaks from high school that he won't know are some of his most treasured possessions until years later. He'll get to feel the rush of going to his first party. He'll sit around bonfires on the beach, he'll go to concerts, he'll discover what his favorite beer is. He'll meet his favorite people, discover his tribe, and change the world.

And he'll get to do all of this because sometimes, the world is a beautiful place.

So yes, it breaks my heart to think that one day, he'll have to learn how real evil is in this world. But he'll also get to learn how beautiful the world can be. And I think that is the best thing I can ask for.

16 comments:

  1. I'm pregnant and just cried reading this. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need reminded by the little things and all those you described of the beautiful world and how people can still be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so easy to focus on the negative in the world but it's definitely important to remember all the good. And focus on that good. The world can be an evil place but it's also incredibly beautiful! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful! And you'll get to be right there to watch all the great things in his life unfold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this, it's so true. We truly live in a beautiful world, it's rocked by a few who choose to spread evil. Thankfully, the good will always win <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, the world really is an amazing place despite all the negative sides of it. For the very few people that spread evil and hatred, there are ten thousand more that are so amazingly bright and want to share love and happiness

    Noire Beau

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautifully put. I felt the same way after I saw everything last Friday. My heart was broken for all those people who's lives were shattered and all the repercussions we saw spread over this world. But the world keeps on going, and seeing all the love and support that also came from this tragedy gave me hope. I love how you can see all the beauty that is to come from the little life inside you already. Life really is special and there are so many moments we have that are truly incredible. It's important to remember that part of the reason those things are so special is because life is short and imperfect. That's what makes the good SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness. I loved this post so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. There is so much fear, but there is so much love too. Thank you for this beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this. I've been a bit angry with the world lately and all the horrific things happening, and I think it's in times like this that we most need to remember the good. Because for all the bad, it can be so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so great! You're gonna be an amazing mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this post is amazing. but just remember - even in a world of darkness, the light still shows. Kids can be the light :)
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the same thoughts when I was pregnant with Cash & those same thoughts have continued over & over. Unfortunately, our boys will grow up in a world where there is evil & hate, but there is so, so many good & beautiful things that surround them, too. We are responsible for showing them the beauty of this world. Jack is already one lucky little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You & Christopher will make the most amazing parents! You, Chris, Grandma, Grandpa & Jack's favorite Uncle will share in making the most amazing memories with Jack Isaiah Jacobs! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. We live in a mad world, true, but luckyly there is still people like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, I love this post. I totally agree, it's so easy for us to see the news and think that the world is such a horrible place, but we often forget about the beautiful little things in life. I'm excited to follow your blog as you show your son all these beautiful things very soon!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.