Image Map

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Becoming the Best Version of Yourself.

When I was thinking about 2015 and goals and resolutions, what kept coming up in my mind was that I didn't want to try to reinvent myself, becoming a whole new person. I just wanted to become the best version of the person I already was.

I've really been working on this so far this year, and these are the questions that are helping me along.



What makes you happy? Not the deep, serious stuff--the happy stuff. Like walking your dog at lunch, or taking the time to make yourself a fancy cup of coffee when it's not at all necessary.

What fulfills you? To me, being happy is a feeling, but being fulfilled is like coming alive. So what is it that makes you come alive? What is it that, when you're doing it, you feel like you're living your life to the fullest, doing what you were made to do?

What is currently bothering you about your life? We spend a lot of time thinking and focusing on things that bother us about the life happening around us, but often don't spend as much time focusing on our own. If you look at your own life, are there changeable things you're unhappy with? Start there.

If you had six months paid vacation and an unlimited budget, what would you do? Would you travel? Go visit friends? Start your own business? Finally write that book?

Sure, this will probably never be a reality for most of us. But what you would do if it were a possibility says a lot about you. You may not be able to pack up and go to Italy tomorrow, but you can certainly start saving for it today. You may not be able to quit your job and start your own business, but you can start looking into other jobs that interest you. See where I'm going with this? Life is too short to not always be moving in the direction of your dreams.

What qualities do you really admire in others? Not that you should walk around trying to be like everyone else, but it's worth paying attention to what you admire in other people.

I've noticed that it makes me feel good when someone is actually listening to me in a conversation instead of looking at their phone, so I try to make sure I do the same thing when I'm talking to others. It's little things like this that help you constantly better yourself.

What refreshes you? You'll never be the best version of yourself if you're always exhausted. I think there's a really big difference between being physically tired and being completely drained. You can't always avoid the first one, but you can definitely avoid the second one by taking the time to refresh.

Reading my Bible and journaling in the mornings is something that refreshes me. Watching Netflix with my husband and talking about our days refreshes me. Yet when I'm busy, these are the first things I skip. I'm learning that a refreshed life is a good life, and it's worth taking the time for.

How do you work on becoming the best version of yourself?

12 comments:

  1. For me, I have to keep a close eye on little habits that, if I start to neglect, throw me into a funk. It is important that I make time to read (my Bible and my stack of other books), wash my face at night, keep in touch with the people I love, and keep the house somewhat straightened up. :) If I let go of any one of those things, I start to over think my entire life and convince myself I need a huge change. Usually, I just need to get back into the habits that make me feel like myself. I like your version of New Years goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had an unlimited budget at 6 months off, I would start a business. I'm actually in the works of doing that right now without either. #fingerscrossed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. You always share the most beautiful, thought-provoking posts. Thank you for the great reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. unlimited budget + six months off, I would travel until the 6 months ran out. get a solid 6 months worth of use out of my DSLR, + probably find a way for that to be my life.

    I love all of these questions, reading it really got me thinking about how I can be a better version of myself too. so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about the little things that make me feel happy and refreshed this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pup totally makes me happy, even on the worst days. I think if I had paid 6 months of vacation, I'd spend it mostly reading! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire that you are constantly doing everything within your power to be the best version of yourself-to be positive and driven (to grow).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh shoot, I love this! I kind of felt the same way this year and I am working on doing more of what I LOVE. That means reading, getting out of the house more in the day, and date nights. May need to "borrow" this blog post idea and questions…with links back of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this, really. Every time you post something it always makes me think, and I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the one about qualities we admire in others. The excerpt on "changeable happy" items in our lives is a big one for me. A lot of things in my life are changeable but I can get stuck in thinking that they aren't just because I get overwhelmed in baby/mom land these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great checklist! I love the idea of not reinventing ourselves but because our best version. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really insightful post! I'm right with you – I think 2014 was a huge year for me. It was very, very foundational and life-changing, and this year has been more about self-evaluating and self-improvement and really becoming the best version of who I am. I will definitely have to go down this list and answer some questions for myself!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.