Image Map

Friday, January 8, 2016

Little Things You Should Do Every Day.


During a time when giant resolutions are being made and you're formulating a New Year's plan to basically overhaul your entire life, it can be nice to take a step back and look at the basics. Big goals and resolutions are great, but there are also some smaller things that you can do to make big changes.

Drink water. Lots of it. I will probably talk about this forever, because it amazes me that such a small thing that takes such little effort can make such a big change. When I make sure I drink a ton of water every day I have less headaches, better skin, more energy...all by just drinking something that is free. Seriously, if there was a crazy popular supplement you could buy that did all those things, you know you'd be tempted to buy it...so drink yourself some water!

Make something better. How many times do we stop when something is done enough? A work project, a blog post, a dinner...our everyday lives are full of things that we could keep making better and better and never be finished with. Obviously, that's not feasible. But every day, you can choose to make something better. Read over that email one extra time, or mop the floor instead of just sweeping it. Choose something and make it a little bit better.

Be thankful. If last year taught me anything, it's this: Thankfulness may not have the power to change circumstances, but it has the power to change me. Being thankful is a powerful thing. Switching your mindset to one of gratitude is life-changing. Focusing on the good instead of the bad is a mood-altering magic. Just taking the time to be thankful for one single thing each day can really determine the type of day you have.

Leave someone better than when you found them. When I was younger and would babysit at someone's house, my mom would always tell me, "Make sure you leave the house better than you found it." I think the same logic can be applied to people. You really do have the power to make someone's day better, and you can do that so simply, without taking anything away from your day. Throw away someone's trash for them, compliment their outfit, bring them a coffee, smile at them. Don't you have a better day when someone shows you love?

Choose silence over stupidity. I am not confrontational at all, but when it comes to people I know and things I feel passionate about, I am also not timid. So when someone is talking about something I disagree with, or have strong feelings about, my first reaction is to pipe up and give my opinion and let them know why they're wrong. I would venture to say that 90% of the time, I later (if not immediately!) realize that my words made no difference, and I wasted my time and maybe even dignity just to make myself feel better. You can't take your words back...that goes for words that are hurtful and words that just make you feel stupid later. So sometimes, it's best to just choose silence.

What's something you think you should do every day?

41 comments:

  1. Choose silence over stupidity. This is one I need to work on! Thank you for the reminder! :) I'm not confrontational either, but with people I know I tend to speak my mind and I need to be more careful of that. Love this post!

    Becky
    www.beckyandbrittany.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on trying to choose silence more often. I hate looking back on an incident from the day and feeling like the things I said were really stupid and unnecessary, especially if I put on quite a show while doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome post! My mom used to tell me the same thing when I would babysit! Parents were always SO appreciative. I am definitely trying to drink more water...when I read that, I realized that I haven't had any water yet today so I went and filled up a glass. Thank you for the reminder, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been drinking wayyy more water this week and am so proud of myself! I've only had ONE Diet coke this whole entire week which is a record for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I am always working on drinking more water, and jeeping my mouth shut and LISTENING more. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great goals, lady! More water is a good thing as is being thankful. So amazing how our mindest can change so much <3!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely need to get better at drinking more water!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to drinking more water! I've been trying really hard to drink more as part of my new year's goals! And yes to silence over stupidity! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I am definitely opinionated and I am learning as I get older to tone it down. It doesn't always help. Sometimes it does the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silence over stupidity. Yes and yes. We all just want to be heard and sometimes it is better to just listen and be quiet. Love these words of wisdom. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely have to drink more water!! I've been trying really hard to!

    These are wonderful things and I'd like to add that if you can help someone do it!! =)

    Have a great weekend! Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Focusing on the good ALWAYS helps. Even when you think there can't possibly be any good in a situation, there always is good somewhere---you just have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true about drinking water! And you can splurge a little and get a cute water bottle from Starbucks or Lilly Pulitizer, and that makes it more fun :) One thing I would add is rest! I know I get so caught up in needing to be productive, all the time. I do make an effort to get a good night's sleep (obvi not happening now, you know those preggo struggles), but during the day I am constantly on the go, and sometimes I need to remind myself to just settle into the couch and watch a quick show on Netflix, or play some candy crush.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is great. I love the "leave them better than you found them". such an easy reminder on how to treat your interactions with people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All good reminders and you made me pick up my water bottle just now. Leaving someone better than you found them is so simple but so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Silence over stupidity...perfect! What a great post you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great list. It's so easy to do every single thing here- and I'm SO BAD at drinking water! I have my empty cup sitting on my desk right now! Ugh. I'm going to go fill it this very moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this list! All of these are great ideas and so simple to do! I'm making more of an effort to move my body more, create me and spend more quality time with my husband and daughter each day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm all about drinking lots of water, but I need to work on being more thankful on a daily basis. Lovely inspiration! Happy Friday gurlie <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all so good! I can always drink more water - I feel like that is something I can't get enough of. I love the idea of leaving someone better than you found them...very meaningful. Just today I chose silence. I definitely think it was the better route to go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man, not saying something is something that I struggle with all the time! Sometimes you just want to tell somebody how wrong they are, but you're right, half the time they won't even listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great list! especially love the one about making things better...I thought a lot of about that too when thinking about the year ahead! not a "new" me this year, but a better version of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great list. I've always felt like being silent when I disagree was a sign of weakness, but after reading your last point I feel much better about it. That totally makes sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Today I had a really bad day. I am glad that to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are perfect!! Being thankful is the best way to live each day and I'm trying so hard to be better with water!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are great because I'm not much of a New-Years-Resolution-Maker kind of person... I'll just fail them too easily ha! Little baby step goals? That's more my tempo.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love these! Especially "make something better" and "leave someone better than when you found them". Both are things I want to do more of in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this list! One thing that I could do better is leaving someone better than when I found them. I think I could be more intentional about being a little light in the life of people I encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a great list... I love the way you worded the one about leaving something better. It doesn't have to be overwhelming because everything doesn't have to be left better but SOMETHING can. Are you getting excited? You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes to all of these! I love the "leave someone better than when you found them." There's so much we can do to brighten people's days.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Learning to bite my tongue is something that I have been making an effort with. You are so right though that the majority of time, it's not worth the argument.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really do like drinking water and always have it with me but sometimes I think I just have too much coffee instead lol (I blame the children not sleeping!).
    I'm working on gratitude this year because it truly does change my whole mindset when I focus on being grateful!
    great post!

    Confessions of a Frumpy Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  33. My mom used to give me that exact same advice when I would go babysitting. :) You're right, it's a good one to apply to all of life! It's amazing how little things like these can just make our everydays more joy-filled and worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love these! A way to make real change, but small enough to do everyday.

    ​xx katie // a touch of teal

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are all fabulous tips! Water is so important and so beneficial!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really like the idea and reminder to leave a person better than when you met them. That bit of kindness and consideration to be applied to our everyday lives could be very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVED every single one of theses. Thanks for sharing something so thoughtful
    http://makingrestorations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this! I totally relate with silence over stupidity - I was the same way with wanting to voice my opinions/thoughts and then a couple of years ago, I realized in most cases it really didn't matter and it's better to keep your mouth shut 99% of the time. And yes yes yes to water! SO important!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.