Image Map

Friday, January 15, 2016

Who Do You Want to Be This Year?

who do you want to be

Now that we've all had some time to think about//change//give up on//re-do our 2016 resolutions and goals, I have another question for you. Who do you want to be this year? Not what, who. When it comes to making new year's resolutions and goals, we tend to stick to a set of generalized questions that don't vary too much from each other. And that's not bad! I'm a big believer in asking those types of questions, and I do it every year. I think the problem is that we stop with those, and we don't go any deeper.

When we don't personalize things, we end up with goals that aren't personal to us. We decide we want to work out more, want to organize our closet, want a promotion at work, and call it a day. Those are all good goals, they just aren't personal. And it can be hard to feel passionate about goals that don't seem personal to you.

So I want to ask you a question: Who do you want to be this year? Don't ask yourself what kind of person you want to be, figure out what kind of you you want to be. At the end of the day, you know yourself. You know the good and the bad. You know your favorite parts and the parts you need to change. So you know the goals and resolutions that best fit you.

The thing is, once February rolls around and the newness of the year wears off, a goal like "keep the house clean" doesn't seem exciting, or even doable. But a goal that's personal to you, like, "I want to be a writer this year, so I'm going to keep the house clean so I can focus on writing in the evenings instead of cleaning up" can mean a lot.

Don't let this year be another one of generalized checklists, let it be a year of personal achievement, of becoming the best version of yourself, of becoming exactly who you want to be.

So: Who do you want to be in 2016? 

Ps: Please understand I may be a bit slow in getting back to you as I'm either about to have a baby//currently having a baby//have just had a baby. I wanted to keep things going on my blog, but it may take a bit to get back into the swing of things since I'm, you know, bringing a human into the world and all. xo

20 comments:

  1. this is a great way of looking at our goals! I think that's what drove me to my word of the year, intention. I want to be the type of person that people can count on and can be sure how much I care about them by how I treat them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this kind of revisit to resolutions. Fifteen days into the month and this is a great way to look at things.

    Eeeeeeeek for baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't lie... every time your blog gets a little quiet I think, 'OH MY GOSH SHE'S HAVING A BABY NOW!' and then I check your Twitter & Instagram for confirmation. #creeperalert Haha. I love the point of this post, though. We absolutely know what we're capable of and it's a great way to look at self-improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be a good wife and on my way to being a mother. I'm not pregnant yet but it's my goal to start the process. I want to be a caring person and a good listener too! =)

    Have a great weekend! Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to keep this perspective on things too. Since we as people are constantly evolving I try to make sure I'm evolving in a way I am cognizant of so I become a person I like and intended to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see him!! Come on baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! It's a great thought to ponder on today. And how exciting to be expecting a sweet baby. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! It's definitely some great food for thought and so true! And how exciting that you may be welcoming little man this weekend <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am journaling about this very thing right now. So excited that you are meeting your guy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about you and am excited to hear the big news when it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard it posed this way - definitely made me stop and think! Hoping your little man has made his debut or is about to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this way of looking at things. Personal goals are so much more achievable than just regular old goals, like the ones you mentioned. Taking time to invest in ourselves is often last on our lists, but should be at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with everything! If your little guy has already arrived, I hope everything went smoothly. If not, I wish you the best for when the time comes!
    I loved thinking about New Year's goals this way, because I typically think about what I want to DO instead. This was a good mental shift and it's worth thinking about for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a good way to look at setting goals for yourself! Can't wait for baby Jack news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love you, your blog and this post. I also love your baby that may not even be born yet..or may have been depending on when you read this! Goal setting is important to me and I like this perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been thinking about these types of questions a lot lately. I haven't put pen to paper, but you're post really resonated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwww I love that little disclaimer at the end! So excited for bub to arrive :)
    Also this is a great post, I've actually been thinking about this lots lately and it's funny how once you work out who you want to be, big decisions become so much easier to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea. I'm following the advice that even baby steps in the right direction are better than no steps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love this post!

    Also, super excited for your little one to arrive!! Ours finally joined us on Jan 13th and I can say, it is the most amazing thing ever once they are finally WITH you :) Sending you lots of wishes as the days tick down!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.