Image Map

Friday, April 3, 2015

Easy Ways to Become a Happier Person.

My current season of life is an incredibly stressful one where everything is up in the air. There are big decisions to be made, there is no plan (I really just always need there to be a plan), and I pretty much wake up and say good morning to my hovering anxiety every day.

But...I think I'm also the happiest and most grounded I've been. And I think that's because I've stopped trying to mess with the big things and have been focusing on living day-to-day life instead.

I've recently discovered some super easy ways to be happier, no matter what the circumstances are.


Realize the difference between things you can control and things you can't. This is a big one for me. I would like a detailed plan for my future and I'd like one right now, thank you very much. But that's just not in the cards at the moment. So spending my time worrying and stressing over what I have no control over? That's just stupid.

Get excited over the small things. Something so small, like spilling my coffee, will happen and I'll get upset over it. But something small and good will happen, like an extra long green light, and it will go by completely unnoticed.

If you're going to get upset over the bad littles, get excited over the good littles.

Make an effort to be thankful. I talk about this all the time, but it's so true! If someone asked you if you were thankful for your relationship or your house or your car, you'd say yes. But it's probably not something you think about on a daily basis.

When your heart is grateful and your mind is thinking thankful thoughts, you're happier. It's just that simple.

Clean up. I'm a messy person. I like to blame it on my creative mind, but really, I just don't like to clean.

That being said, I'm the happiest and most relaxed when my house is clean. Sometimes it's well worth it to suck it up and clean for an hour or two and then be able to enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Fill your day with little joys. Sometimes the smallest things can turn your whole day around. I'm on a big hot tea kick lately, so I've started bringing a little bag to work with a mug and truvia and a bunch of tea bags. A few times a day, I'll pick out a different flavor and have a cup of tea while I'm working, and it's stupid how much happier it makes my entire day.

Take advantage of the little things, the cheap things, the silly things, and make your own happiness.

Realize there's some stuff that's just gotta go. You're never going to have a happy life if you're always surrounded by negativity. I think it's important to examine your life every now and then and see what you need to get rid of.

What makes you a happier person?

35 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I completely agree with everything!
    Mae :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this list! I definitely get excited about small things--like new baby goats at our local zoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list. I wouldn't have included every one of these. I think stressing "being in the moment" would be the only other thing I would add. Also, if you're every feeling bad-just smile. It does wonders! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think there's a lot of power in relinquishing control--it lets you feel free, uplifted, and able to take on the things you can change. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I like this. I think I'm a happy person by nature, it takes a lot to ruffle me up and make me angry. I will say, my family and the drama that ensues is a real downer for me, but since I live far away I find that I am a bit happier (sad, but true!) I also save time for things that make me smile in the day, usually a good book, time with my kids and husband, and a little exercise;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I am the same way, I have to have a plan! I've learned from infertility, that I should have a plan but never expect to stick to it! It's definitely important to let go of the things you have no control over. Those are gravity issues that we will never be able to change. I often think of the serenity prayer when I encounter these things. What I like to do is set small, reasonable goals for myself and then once I get them checked off I feel really accomplished which definitely helps me feel happier! Even if it's something as simple as getting my car through the car wash or getting a load of laundry done! Happy friday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post! I find that days I tell myself to be thankful for the little things are days I stay most positive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are such a positive person, it's so wonderful! i love these tips, especially keeping in mind to not stress over things we cannot change. it's a biggie. also, sometime last year i was very stressed with moving and getting a dog, all big things! the way i would relax would be with hot tea. it was so therapeutic, i was having 6 cups a day sometimes, which is a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list, the hard part for me is remembering them! I like to take a moment every day just for myself and to remember everything is temporary, even is the stress, pain, and anxiety seems never ending. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post. I also am the same way. If I don't have a plan I freak out. I am trying to remind myself more frequently that everything will work out the way it is supposed to in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the cleaning thing. for sure. I HATE cleaning but I'm always so much happier when my house is clean.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been making an effort lately to be more mindful of all the things I'm thankful for, and it's so true that it's an instant happiness booster!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clean up...such a GOOD bit of advice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so hard not to stress about the things you can't control. Definitely one of my downfalls as well. But I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these tips! I really like the idea of getting excited over the littles <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all such great tips! I find when I focus on the things I already have rather than the things I don't, I'm much happier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post, such great tips! I'm definitely a stressor, and I really need to learn to let things go that I can't control :-P

    Happy Friday gurlie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that picture made me happy just looking at it!! and love your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been super stressed lately and so needed this. It's so important to remember the things you do have!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips! I have a few go-to happy things that I read or think about! (Kind of like how an actor has a few bad things to think about during a crying scene). It really helps me get centered!
    Meg of An Affair of Character

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry you're dealing with so much anxiety currently but I think you're handling it in such a positive manner! Hang in there girl (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this!! Such a great reminder. I'm sorry that you're having some crazy in your life, but it sounds like you're handling it in the absolutely best way possible!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Knowing what I can and cannot control is something I struggle with. I mean, I know. But letting go. But it is also the biggest thing in my life that makes a difference in how I handle life. SO I work hard on it and I keep working on it. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! Your first point about control is actually something I drafted in a blog post about anxiety - I'm a control freak. I love to have a plan and know everything. I struggle with this, because not having a plan gives me anxiety. Every day I work on controlling within a means. I think part of this has to do with living in the moment, something I struggle with as well.

    Jenny
    fromthedeskofj.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are such sweet tips. I reckon the main one for me is to be excited. Plan things to look forward to, try new things. But still make sure you're on track, because nothing causes stress more than bad time management.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  26. getting excited about the little good things is such a great tip, because I tend to freak out over the bad ones. Love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome and perfect for my current state. I'm like you- I need a plan. It's hard to not have one, but, I know whatever happens, you will be GREAT. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I needed this list! Life has definitely been a little stressful on my end, too, so it's nice to hear this list--especially the one about writing down all that we have to be grateful for. I've had that on my heart today and I think it'll soon become a blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Number 1 is HUGE for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This list is wonderful and so true! I always find it funny that we tend to concentrate more on the things that go wrong and the things that we do not have instead of the things that go right and the things we already have. Being thankful is so important; it is also something I need to remember to do more of.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Not letting the little getting to you is a big one. Also finding the happy in the little things, sometimes just a kind gesture can really make your day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So true especially the one about being thankful! I love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love all of these tips! Having a clean house DEFINITELY makes me happier!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's SO important to embrace the small things! <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love these tips! I think you can find happiness no matter what the circumstances; you just have to make a choice. And these are all great ways to make being happy a little easier. :)

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.