Image Map

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Just Live: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.


I just finished reading The Opposite of Loneliness this week. I'll write more about it soon, but it's a collection of stories and essays by a girl who wrote an incredibly moving essay addressing the feelings and emotions of graduating--only to be killed in a car crash five days after graduation.

What struck me the most was closing of that essay.

We're so young. We have so much time.

But she didn't. Yet, she lived a life so full and so passionate that her words and her legacy live on.

This book was a startling reminder to me that we have no idea how long life is. So what can we do? We can live.

Just live. Live your passion, your dreams, your bad days. Live through the heartache and the messiness and the imperfection--not in spite of it, but because of it. Live by giving your life away--give away your time and your love and your words to those who matter to you.

Live it for all that it is worth. Every single day is the only day you will ever have...treat it as such.

Don't let the small stuff keep you from getting the most out of life. Flat tires and bills and headaches and rejection are just a part of life. Don't let them slow you down. Just nod at them and keep moving, keep going, keep living.

Because this is life. It's yours, and you get to spend it. Don't save it all away to spend on a day that may never come. Spend it now. Love it now. Live it now.

How do you get the most out of life?

17 comments:

  1. Such a good (if sad) reminder to live life fully. When I had to quit my job and take a year off, I knew that I still wanted to live fully and not waste my life. So I threw myself into my writing - if nothing else comes from this time, I'll hopefully at least have a manuscript finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach, girlfriend!! You are so right - the little things feel like they're pulling us down sometimes but in reality we just have to keep marching on. Love your inspiring writing style :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great reminder. I almost ALWAYS sweat the small stuff. It's so silly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds fantastic! I really do fall into the trap of getting upset about the little things until they pile up and it feels like everything is a big thing. But there is is so much to be thankful for and life is wonderful if you focus on the good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to all of the above! I've heard so many good things about this book.

    And isn't today a special day? Happy 23rd, keep dancing like you're 22 though (;

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was exactly what I needed this week. Thanks for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this today. I really needed this reminder.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely putting this on my "to read" list for next month. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to not miss out on living by counting days until the big things. There's fun and beauty and knowledge and all the good and bad things in every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am terrible at sweating the small stuff and this is a perfect reminder. Can't wait to read your review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I remember hearing about that girl's story and reading her essay...I'm sure it's a comfort to her loved ones that her words have been able to touch and inspire so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds absolutely amazing and emotional. I really want to read it because maybe it will make me realise the same thing as you have. Honestly, stressing over all the little details has been a thing for me lately, and I reckon I need to just live life without thinking so much. Imagine the fact that any one of us could die on any day. That's such a morbid thought and we may as well live well until it happens.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! Make every moment count. Try to be mindful and present. Listen to each conversation like you are going to learn the most important thing in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That book is in my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! I can't wait to read your review on this book, it sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything about this. May need to give the book a read :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. An important reminder! I think we all get too caught up in the little annoyances sometimes, and it's important to think about the bigger picture and remember what's really important. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.