Image Map

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Today is Big.



This weekend was magical. I spent it with Christopher in Birmingham, Alabama, and had the best time ever. Now, Alabama isn't really somewhere that comes to mind when I think about what the best weekend ever looks like, but because of who I got to spend it with, it really was the best.

Today is a big day. It's the day that all of the applications for residency programs are due. As of 9:00 this morning, all of our choices will be in. All of our research and trying to decide where to apply and where we might want to live is over. All of Chris' hard work over the past 4 years has been for this. And once he submits his applications, he's done all he can do. It now moves into hands off and pray like crazy that you get some interviews.

The trip to Birmingham was because it's a potential place to live next year. Again, not really at the top of my list, but at this point, I'm trying to have an open mind. Since, apparently, I am not in charge of how everything turns out for everyone. If only.


When I got to Alabama, I had the best time. The weather was perfect, the parks were perfect, the food was perfect, hanging out with Christopher and dreaming/freaking out/discussing our future was perfect. 

And most of all, the timing was perfect. Because on a day like today--one that holds so much significance and finality--it would be easy to freak out (of course I will) and worry that we didn't apply to the right places and start making a list of the only places I will be happy living. 

But instead, I'm just going to think of Alabama. And how no, I don't really want to live there. But if I had to, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It wouldn't even be close. It would be the best, because of who I get to live there with. 


So today is big. It kicks off the biggest, scariest, most adventurous season yet. But after this weekend, I just have a feeling that no matter what schools call about interviews, or how many interviews he goes on, or where we actually match, life is going to be really, really beautiful. 

"Home, let me go home. Home is wherever I'm with you."

17 comments:

  1. bham's not so bad!! I've lived here for ten years (ten longer than I thought I ever would!!), and its become home! also, do I spy johns city diner's chicken & waffles?! good luck with the residency apps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you guys!! I've had a friend go through this and I know how stressful it can all be. But you're right- wherever you end up will be AWESOME bc you two will be together making memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an uncertain but really exciting time for you guys. I can't wait to hear where you'll land, but you're right - no matter where it is, it'll be great, because you'll be together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in the residency search!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've moved so many times with my (military) husband and I have learned this: I have never NOT liked where I'm living, never NOT made great friends, and I've never NOT learned something while living there. You will do great wherever you land;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing such a great job staying positive! I can imagine it would be so difficult to feel pulled to these new places but I am sure wherever you end up will be wonderful for you three! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending lots of good thoughts your way. Wherever you land, you will be beginning the greatest adventure and that in itself is amazing!! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get to go through this is December! My husband will then be applying to Physics grad schools and so far they are ranging all over the states. As a small town South Dakotan girl, it's got me pretty nervous! Best of luck to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so excited for you two! Match Day will be here before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting! Can't wait to see where the Lord takes you and your growing little family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen to that! I never imagined myself in Dallas, but you make a home wherever you have to in order to support those you love!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to hear where you guys end up with your growing family <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't even imagine the nervous energy you must be feeling right now. My cousin is in grad school in Birmingham and it's only a few hours from Nashville, so we're hoping to make a weekend trip to visit her sometime soon.

    Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. keeping my fingers crossed for you and your family! i can't wait to hear where you end up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post! I moved from one place for my husband, and although where we live is not ideal, it is home for us! I love the quote you posted, home is indeed, wherever you're with the people you love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting! I grew up in Birmingham and my husband and I have made Birmingham our home. I absolutely adore this city, and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the area! There are some amazing spots here that you would love! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love reading about your life you are so adorable!

    xoxo Lex // LexMeetsWorld

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.