Image Map

Monday, September 28, 2015

Why I'm Starting NaNoWriMo in October & I Think You Should, Too.


As if fall wasn't amazing enough, November brings the gift of NaNoWriMo. 

"National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30. Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought fleetingly about writing a novel." 

If you've never participated before, that paragraph alone should make you want to. 

Writing 50,000 words in 30 days is fun, exhaustingexhilarating, and totally possible. When aspiring writers all over the world are chasing the same goal you are for thirty days, it makes you feel like anything is possible. And anything is possible. 

I've done NaNoWriMo twice now, and I've loved it both times. It forces you to write, forces you to think quickly, and forces you to abandon the idea of editing until December. It's magical. It's also a month filled with lots of coffee, wine, late nights, and stress, as you can probably imagine. 

This year is a little bit different for me. November will bring me two months away from having a baby--not exactly conducive to staying up all night in an over-caffinated frenzy of writing.

While the obvious solution would be to sit this year out and try to jump back in next year, NaNoWriMo has brought me some of my very favorite ideas and words and stories. So I don't want to sit this one out.

So I'm starting NaNoWriMo in October. Here's why I think you should consider doing the same. 

To write 50,000 words in the month of November, you have to write roughly 1,667 words each day. Again, totally doable! But it is a lot. To write 50,000 words in the months of October and November, you have to write roughly 820 words each day. 

See where I'm going with this? 

My thinking is that 820 words a day for two months is going to be a lot easier for me to do in this season of life. And, when I reach the halfway point and start running out of steam, it'll be just in time for the inspiration of NaNoWriMo!

Of course, it won't technically be NaNoWriMo, because for that, you have to start November 1st with a word count of zero. But, it is a way to participate. Especially since I know that otherwise, it's just not going to happen this year. 

So I'm going to do it. In a few days, much like the past two Novembers, I'm going to curl up with a blank page and a cup of coffee and start to write my little heart out. 

You may not be in a similar situation to me, but if you've already decided your reasons for why you're not going to participate this year, why not jump in and get your feet wet in October?

Because you never know what type of magic might come from simply deciding to start. 

Are you planning on participating in NaNoWriMo this year?

20 comments:

  1. Thats an awesome idea!! I think I may start in October as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always considered NaNoWriMo but never done it....maybe this year is the year for me. Either way, good luck with your goal! Crush it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG yes yes yes. needed to hear this today. YES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always considered it too, but haven't done it. Last year I was knee deep in novel edits and I couldn't wrap my head around starting anything new. We shall see!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge good luck for Nano - I have tried this twice and never managed to complete it. If I get my TBR pile down before the end of October I am considering it again for this year. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I want to join on October 1st with you, 820 words a day is not nearly as intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea to get the best of both worlds. No so much stress but you still get to write. I've never participated in NaNoWriMo but doing it this way maybe a great introduction into it. Especially with this being my last semester of my Master's, I think I'll need the extra time. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea and a good way to stay accountable. I have never heard of Nanowrimo before, but I might need to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!! I like this idea a lot and it definitely makes sense for you to start in October. I've tried Nanowrimo 2x in the past and while I've failed both times, I still wrote BIG chunks of something I was passionate about. I still consider that a win :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always thought about participating because I really love writing and have thought of writing a book someday, but I just never thought I'd succeed so haven't done it. I actually love this idea, nice way to try it out since I've always wanted to, without the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember you talking about this a year ago and feeling overwhelmed then by it hahaha, I'd love to do it. I enjoy writing, but it just seems so daunting. Excited to see how your experience goes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm using NaNoWriMo with a student! I teach the gifted students, and she is so very excited! I didn't know it existed until I looked into options for her. The idea of a whole novel scares me, but that's definitely something I'm interested in for down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I wrote the first 2/3 of my first novel in NaNoWriMo. I'm thinking of doing my own writing challenge in between semesters - participating in NaNoWriMo while working part time, being a grad student, and living with a chronic illness just isn't going to work right now. Good luck with your writing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never done it. I've always been interested but have just not started. I should.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every October I attempt to start NaNoWriMo and get about 10,000 words in before I get sidetracked, busy, or burnt out. I'm gonna try it again this year and hopefully I'll be able to root you and other bloggers on (while helping motivate myself too haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhh you are convincing me i should! although i want to work on a non-fiction book right now so i'll need to do some investigating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! I've been meaning to get some hard-core writing done, and doing it with a group of other writers may just be the motivation I need. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea! I should probably do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am planning on doing nano, but in the hopes to finish my novel.... i'm 15k words in now and am ready to crank out the rest! I am getting a puppy next week (!!) so maybe your idea of just starting to write now is one i'll have to do! Getting in the mindset of writing daily is my struggle. thanks for the inspiration, and congrats on the soon-to-be-here little one

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.