Image Map

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I am Becoming my Mother: The 27-Fling Boogie.


When I was little, my mom read a book called Fly Lady, and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

I kid, I kid. I've read it as an adult and it's actually pretty good.

Anyway, it was a book about cleaning and organizing and decluttering. It had these little "exercises" to help you on your way to having a decluttered house, many of which haunted my childhood.

Especially the 27 fling boogie.

How can anything with such a silly name bother a child so much, you ask? Well, as a kid (and now, who am I kidding), I did not like to let go of things. I had a reason to keep everything: Someone I knew gave it to me, I liked the way it looked in my room, it didn't matter that it was broken--it was irreplaceable, no I didn't need a new one. Okay, maybe I did, but I needed to keep the old one, too. I had too much stuff, a lot of which was really just trash.

I present to you, the 27 fling boogie. 

  1. Get your supplies: A trash bag and a timer. 
  2. Set the timer for 15 minutes. 
  3. Go through your house and throw things away. Trash, things you don't want, things no longer needed, junk mail. Do not stop until you have thrown 27 things away. 
  4. When the time runs out, DO NOT LOOK IN THE TRASH BAG. Do not review your choices. Toss the bag in the trash and move on. 

When my mom would make me throw away a toy, I would instantly form a deep attachment to it. I kid you not, I would start imagining all of the fun I would never get to have with it, like a slow motion movie with sad music playing in the background, until I had worked myself into a state of devastation over the loss of a broken toy that had been living forgotten in my closet for six months.

No, YOU have a problem. 

This week, I've had the urge to really clean and organize every inch of my tiny apartment. Boredom? Early nesting? Who knows. But when it's been awhile since you've cleaned everything, and you want to clean everything, it can be really, really overwhelming to begin.

And do you know what comes in handy in those moments? My old archenemy, the 27 fling boogie.

You may think there's no way you have enough junk around your house to actually throw 27 things away more than once, but let me tell you this: It hides in plain sight. I just went to clean my desk, and do you know how many pieces of useless mail were stacked on it? Seventeen. SEVENTEEN pieces of trash. See? It's easier than you may think.

So here's to a day of getting organized and spending some time with my nemesis, the boogie, who actually is starting to become a really good friend.

I really am becoming my mother.

What's your favorite way to get organized fast? 

21 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh. But the 27 fling boogie works. I read The Fly Lady a few years ago. I don't need her daily dos, I have my own, but she has good methods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the WORST about keeping clothes way longer than I should. I've learned that when the mood strikes me to clean out my closet, I MUST OBEY even if it's at midnight. HA!

    I've started to do a thing where every few months, I pick a random week to clean out my closet. Each day that week, I have to find a MINIMUM of 7 things to purge. Part of me hates it because I find myself releasing things that I claim I'm going to wear again (even though I know I'm not), but ya know.. all of those things I donated? I don't even remember what they were now that they're out of my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! I've never called it this, but I do it regularly.
    Especially when I get overwhelmed with tasks.
    p.s I was so this kid.
    My mom had to go through my room with me at least once a year, picture, hoarders but with kids. and instead of dead cats, their were empty candy wrappers and pencil shavings. Yes, I saved pencil shavings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a genius concept!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really good exercise! I'm such a hoarder but we have been cleaning out like crazy in preparation for the baby. Like you, I ALWAYS find a reason to hold on to something...but the excitement of all the new baby stuff or my crazy nesting hormones have been making it easier to purge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL love this! I may have to steal this from you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness we are the SAME! everything someone gives me immediately has sentimental value to it and i must never part with it. my husband is a minimalist so we often struggle with what gets to stay in our 700 sq ft apartment but i like this method!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh this book would be my best friend. I absolutely LOVE to organize!! Sadly, my closet doesn't appear that way. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to get super attached to things, but now I love throwing things I don't use out! Last summer my family moved and I made everyone throw a bunch of things out haha. I do still get super attached to clothes though, those I still struggle with!

    Kristin
    The Blush Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  10. This might be the kick in the rear I need. I develop attachments to everything, I swear... We need to do this in our entire house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, first off, CONGRATULATIONS!! So excited for you and your little guy! Boys are so fun :) Second, while I'm with you on the weird terminology, that really sounds like a great way to get organized. I've heard of those tips where you should get rid of things you haven't used in a year, etc. Honestly I feel like no matter how many times I purge, I still feel like I have SO MUCH STUFF. I'm also super sentimental about things. Really need to get decisive - I definitely long for a simplified life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stay organized by letting my minimalist sister help me clean out my closet... And she is right - it does feel better to have fewer things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh what a fun post :)
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Mother (I'm her Mother!) tried to teach me this also! It hasn't totally sunk into me yet! I need to follow yours & your Mother's advice & just do it! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bahahaha, love this. The 27 Fling Boogie - I mean, I love it for the name before even reading it. But such good advice. I'm working os hard to keep things clutter-free but it's a chore!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great name, and great method. I don't think I would not be able to look in the bag and second guess everything though. I'm the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of the 27 Fling Boogie, but I freaking love it. I'm going to try this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to do this! I could probably do the 27 Fling Boogie in each room.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so brilliant, and it has an awesome name to boot. Must try in daylight. Another useful tool in cleaning is the "rush around the house 5 minutes before company's arriving" quick clean, always a helper!

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.