Image Map

Friday, October 9, 2015

Do This, Instead.


Have you ever picked up a health magazine or clicked on an article that promises to help you get your ideal body by making changes that you won't even notice? One of those "Do this, instead!" articles? You know the ones.

When you're craving chips and queso, eat kale chips and salsa, instead! 

When you want to go to happy hour with friends, meet up at the gym, instead! 

I've seen some pretty good recommendations, but most of the ones I see are like the examples above. Yes, it would be better for me to eat kale chips and salsa. In fact, I like kale chips! However, if I'm craving chips and queso, I am most definitely going to notice if I eat kale instead. In fact, I'm probably going to eat an entire bag of kale and then still eat the queso that I am still craving, because the kale just didn't do it for me.

I saw something like this in a magazine today, and it made me think about actual lifestyle changes that I would say "do this, instead" about.

So here's my list of things to do instead for a much happier life.

I promise there's not a single kale chip to be found.

Be kind, instead. When unkindness is the easiest option, choose kindness. Be kind to others instead of being rude. React kindly when a situation is calling out the meanness in you.

Be positive, instead. When negativity is taking over your thoughts, choose to be positive. When you're itching to critique the things around you, look for the good and voice that, instead.

Speak gratitude, instead. When complaints slip out of your mouth without you even realizing, strive to speak thankfulness. Instead of talking about what you're lacking, or what your day is lacking, say the good things about life out loud.

Compliment someone, instead. When you want to roll your eyes at how long it's taking the cashier to ring up your four items, compliment their smile. Instead of telling a co-worker how they screwed up the printer, compliment them on their presentation.

Be generous, instead. When someone asks if they can cut in front of you in line because they're running late, let them. Pay for someone's coffee. Clean up for someone. Something I've learned lately--being generous doesn't have to be expensive.

Bite your tongue, instead. When you want to lash out at someone, choose silence. When gossip and stories about someone are bubbling on the tip of your tongue, bite your tongue and manage your regrets in the long run.

Forgive immediately, instead. When someone cuts you off in traffic, brush it off. When a coworker takes credit for something you did, deal with it immediately and then forgive them instead of letting it fester. When your husband forgets to stop by the grocery store, accept his apology and move on.

Focus on the happy, instead. When there's so much to be unhappy about, remember that there is so much to be happy about. When you have seventy-four problems, focus on the one thing that went right today. Find reasons to be happy every single day.

Small changes make a big difference. 

22 comments:

  1. YES YES YES lady! Yes! I have to tell you, you've been on FIRE this week! Loving your content so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! (and I love kale chips, too, so....) <<my computer tried to change kale to bald so there's that.

    Focus on the happy, instead. That's my new mantra when I get cranky pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES to all of these! Especially biting your tongue - I've been doing that a lot lately. And now I'm totally craving chips and salsa :)

    Happy Friday <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list and things that we all should be doing! Happy weekending :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a beautiful and right on sentiment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of this! It's so true. We should be kinder and more generous and forgiving and all of it. The world would be a better place if we could all do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this list. So easy to do if you just take a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This list is a MUCH better alternative than kale chips, just saying (;

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing reminder! I am one that needs to be remember to bite my tongue...stress gets the best of me sometimes. Great post Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes to all of this. i can let myself get negative and just need to remember to see the positive side instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes this is easier said than done, but then I should probably be more positive instead. That would do the trick, but I don't know if I can do it. As for the kale and queso example, I totally relate. Cravings are cravings.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic. Is would make an awesome printable or journaling prompt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this, I wish glossy magazines had pages like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this list! This is what we should be reading for inspiration in magazines ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. i find that the kind of quotes i'm pinning on pinterest are very much inspiring like these. we can always use a reminder to be kind, be good, be positive. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! So true too. I need to work on focusing on the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love this. I've been trying really hard on being positive (something near impossible for me). that whole laws of attraction thing, I'm trying to focus on it and bring more peace into my life.
    This list is a really great daily reminder for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, girl, YES! I adore these tips! Bring on ALL the happy advice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this list! And I agree, making these changes will definitely lead to a happier life. :) (I also agree that kale chips are not a suitable replacement when you want something like potato chips or chips and queso.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love love this post! Your blog is by far my favorite one to read!
    I've been meaning to ask you - How exactly do you make your wonderful pictures/quotes for this blog? Do you use
    Stock photos and Photoshop? Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore this!! Everyone should do this! Maybe we would all be a little happier and the world would be more peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.