Image Map

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

just write: street by street.

street by street poem

sometimes you long to go back
to the place from which you came,
but once you finally make it there,
you find it isn't quite the same.

and no matter how you try to fit
into old homes with your old friends,
the times of fitting in those places
have clearly come to end.

so street by street you drive the town
until you become much more aware,
it's not the place you miss so much
as who you were when you were there.

13 comments:

  1. Oh man... this poem hits on everything for me. Beautifully written and really gets to the heart of this nostalgic feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literally I just had a conversation with my friend at lunch today about this!! And the torn feeling of loving some place new, but missing the old place. Etc., etc. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I tend to day dream about what I would do if I could go back ten years with the knowledge I have now. How would friendships be different? Social life? The first job? Dating? Loved this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and all the chills. Yes. I've been trying to articulate this for the past several months, and I've been failing to do so as eloquently. This time in our lives sure is a strange one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What in the world this is so powerful and I can related so much! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. It is true even if we go home it is not the same, we will never look at it the same as our perspective has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I absolutely LOVE this. Pinning now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this so much! So true and so beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.