Image Map

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Savoring the Seasons That Fly By.


October, November, and December are my very favorite months. Although they're two distinct seasons (fall and Christmas), in my mind, it's a 90 day magical season.

We talk a lot about savoring seasons, about making the most of them and getting all you can out of them, but that kind of talk is mostly reserved for seasons that aren't the best and times that are hard. So how to you go about savoring the best seasons? The ones that fly by no matter how badly you want them to last?

Be present. You may not be able to spend all your time doing exactly what you want to celebrate your favorite seasons, but nothing will waste your life and make you miserable faster than wishing you were somewhere else, doing something else. So no matter what your life looks like, be present this season.

Do your favorite things. You already know this season is going to fly by, so make a list of your favorite things that you really want to do. When you have free time, look at your list. An hour you would have spent browsing Facebook can turn into an hour of trying your hand at that pumpkin cookie recipe you love.

Make time for who and what is important to you. We all know we're going to have to rearrange schedules and to-do lists in order to make time for things. Really, we do this every day. Just make sure you're making time for the important things and people. Sure, you can make time to organize your spice cabinet...but is now really the best time for that?

Take a moment to soak it all in each day. For me, nothing flies by faster than December. Last year, I made it a mission to spend at least five minutes sitting in front of the all lit up Christmas tree with my cup of coffee every day in December. Sometimes I spent an hour drinking coffee and listening to Christmas music, sometimes it was just five minutes. But it made me feel like I got a little bit of Christmas every single day, and it was so nice.

Don't beat yourself up when something doesn't meet your expectations. Fall, and especially Christmas, usually comes with a list of things you can't wait to do. I know I have this list (okay, lists) every year. Sometimes everything gets crossed off, sometimes it's January and I haven't so much as baked cookies. Life happens, and that's okay. Don't let missed expectations ruin the season--just enjoy it for what it is.

How do you savor the seasons that fly by?

13 comments:

  1. Oh friend yes! Absolutely great post. I'm with you, Oct, Nov, Dec forever and always! Taking time to be present is a HUGE one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. making time for you is so so important. we sometimes get wrapped up in what we HAVE to do and forget to enjoy things! such a great sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who can also get consumed with to-do lists and high expectations, this was a wonderful reminder and perfect for this season! Great post =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being present is such a good reminder--I'm sure you all are dealing with the same feelings of "this is our last summer/last fall/last holiday before our lives change," and while that's a good thing, it really is important to savor these last few months before our whole world gets turned upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many important things to remember. These three months always fly by so quickly, I need to stop and just be present :)

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you tried to sit in front of the Christmas tree for a few minutes every day, such a great tip for savoring the season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heck. Yes. I'll definitely need to reread this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with this! I am trying hard to just be present and enjoy things this year, instead of worrying about my to do list and rushing place to place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! These are all things I do/need to do more of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of these reminders... This time of year goes by the fastest... And yes, of course Christmas is its own season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this so much! These months are my favorites too (especially now that my baby's birthday is in October) and they seem to fly by. Great reminders! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! These are my favorite months, too, and they seem to fly by! It's the most magical season and I want to soak it all in. Your coffee in front of the Christmas tree idea is THE. BEST.

    ReplyDelete

say whatcha need to say.